Upped from 10mg to 15mg 2weeks ago was better now not so much

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everyone

​I have been taking Citalopram for about 10 or 11 weeks.  I started on 10 mg and stayed on that for about 8/9 weeks, the side effects were pretty bad to begin with I had diarrhoea, nausea and fatigue for the first 4/5 weeks.  I was still experiencing morning anxiety which seemed to clear mid afternoon. 

​After discussion with my doctor I upped to 15 with the extra 5 being taken in the evening rather than the morning (this was to hopefully smooth out the dose and maybe avoid a drop overnight/in the morning.  This was 2 weeks ago.  I felt much better for 1 week really back on track with much better concentration and reduced tiredness.  after just over a week of improvement I have taken a step back with morning anxiety, fatigue and lack of concentration returning.  Other side effects are not as bad a when I first started.

​I am bit confused as it took a week or so for the side effects to start again after feeling much better.  Is this normal. 

Its is so disappointing as I thought that I was on the up after the good first week of increased dose.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

The other side effect which has returned is feeling like I have the flu.  This had gone in the first week of the increased dose.

​Is it likely that I will get back to that first week.

​Cheers

• Posted

I think it's totally normal for the side effects of dose increase to be delayed.

Had same situation myself, recently... Upped a dose, and it wasn't until days 6/7 for the side effects to kick in, and they were really nasty.

• Posted

Hi, same as Ruth, delayed side effects. I have increased dose 10 to 15 to 20 and every time after a week side effects kicked in including the flu like symptoms. They all passed so hang on in there and just tell yourself it is the meds getting into your system helping to make you feel like you again
    • Posted

Thanks Sue and Ruth it is helpful to know that others experience similar. I have taken zopiclone to help sleep for a couple of years but not last night as i don't want to become reliant. I think I do feel a bit better this morning.

• Posted

Nights not years for zopiclone

• Posted

It is best if you can push through without the zopiclone because, as you say, if you become reliant on it then you have the added hassle of getting yourself off it. I am 14 weeks in on the meds and sleep returned to being good after about 6 weeks, still get days when I am tired or wake too early but then doesn't everyone

• Posted

Thanks sleep was much better before i upped dose. I guess I will have to be a bit more patient. How are you doing with morning anxiety.
    • Posted

My morning anxiety has gone, took a while and then a week or 2 before I stopped getting anxious about it coming back but now that the meds have worked I know that if it does I am in a much better place, mentally, to just control it and not let it bother me. We need some feelings of anxiety in our lives or we would just be sky diving off the cliff without a parachute, so there will be times when you will get uncomfortable feelings but it is all normal

• Posted

Thanks Sue 

Good to know that your Anxiety dropped also.  I am just waiting for that now.  Hope it comes soon.  My shoulders are just so tense. and at times I just don't know what I am anxious about.  

?I am at work so that is good but it get tough at times and I am exhausted by the end of the day and at weekends.

• Posted

I know what you mean about shoulders, I had to keep reminding my self to relax them, does work know what you are trying to get yourself better? If so what I found help my anxiety at work was my colleagues knowing that I might need a walk round the block, especially in the mornings, this took away the I am trapped feeling.

At the end of the day, even though you are tired congratulate yourself in making it through and use your weekends to rest and repair, safe in the knowledge that you have made it through another week and another step closer to recovery, it will definitely come

• Posted

So things are not really improving, i have spent the whole weekend feeling pretty anxious, exhausted and with no motivation.

I think I will will go back to my gp this week.

I was on venlafaxine 2 years ago for 8 months and that worked but knocked me out for 1 1/2 weeks getting on, raised anxiety. Which is why I didn't just start ven again.

Considering a switch to venlafaxine. Is this a bad idea, am I likely to get the initial venlafaxine start up side effects or will these be minimised by the exposure to citalopram.

It is just so frustrating

Thanks

• Posted

I have done nothing all weekend but sleep and read
    • Posted

Considering you have not been sleeping too well you probably needed the rest.

By all means have a word with your GP but you may find that you will suffer withdrawal from citalopram whilst having side effects from starting ven but I am not medically trained and have never switched meds so see what they say. Was it your GP's idea to take the increase dose at a different time?

You have only been on 15 for 2 weeks? It can take 4 weeks at least to feel the full benefit. I have been on increased dose for just over 3 weeks and although I am a lot better then I was I still have the odd times during the day when I don't feel right

• Posted

No there won't be any minimizing from the switch ..your just going to go right back where you started or worst..so be careful..

• Posted

Thanks Sue and Lois, i will give it a bit more time at 15mg. I don't want to go back to square one.

Taking the extra 5 in the evening was by discussion with the gp. I think I am sensitive to ssri, i started on sertraline 2 years ago and had diarrhoea within 30 mins of taking the first tablet,

and wanted to smooth the dosing as much as possible, i may try and move the extra to the morning but am a bit reluctant due any effects of changing.

• Posted

From talking to people on sertraline it seems that an upset stomach is the most common side effect.

I am not sure because as I said I am not trained but I have 2 thoughts in split doses, if the medication is in your system it's in your system, however by split you may be getting a slower effect, if that makes sense but I am sure Lois or someone else on the forum will be more knowledgeable, she seems to give good direct advice.

If you can stick with it for another week or so I am sure you will see improvement

• Posted

Thanks, I will definitely give it a week or so longer.

Im not trained either but my thoughts on split dose is that the same stable dose should be achieved but with a smaller variation between the max levels, after a dose is taken and min, before next dose is taken.

• Posted

after a god rest at over the weekend I do feel better and less tense this morning, not wishing to count my chickens, I hope this is a good sign.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.