Upped to 60 mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi folks,

I just came from an appointment and the doctor suggested to up the dose to 60 mg. So today I took 60 mg. I have been on 20 mg for about 6 weeks and on 40 mg for about 4 weeks.

I will wait now at least 2 weeks to see how it goes. If my residual depression is solved, then fine. Otherwise I will keep bothering the doctors smile

Best,

Danilo

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

wow, 60mg and there's me struggling with 20, think I need to up mine Danilo because I'm getting nowhere fast sad nice to hear from you again smile, caio, David smile
    • Posted

You can't hurry this drug.  Sadly so much patience is needed, as recovery is so very very slow.  So slow in fact, you feel nothing is happening - but it is.

People start this drug, and after a few weeks wonder why they feel so ill, so rush to up their dose.  This gives them even more side effects ... and so it drags on.  A few more weeks in and the dose is upped again giving even more side effects.  Each dose has to be given time for side effects, time for a 'nothing' period, time for small ups and downs and more time for bigger ups and downs.  Only then will you feel the full benefit.

You can't put a timescale on things ..... I need to be better by Christmas, I need to be well in a few weeks etc ....... this is one certain way to fail, because you won't be better that quick and so disappointment sets in, frustration and more anxiety.  Recovery will come to you in it's own time.

So much patience ......and so frustrating because we all want to be well now.

• Posted

I totally understand you, katecogs. I'm sure sticking with 20 mg is great for many people, but I have the feeling that it wasn't enough for me. Why? Because I was taking a drug from the same class (citalopram) when I developed my first depression crisis ever (I was treating my social anxiety). The second point is that several sources that I have read say that the user usually start to feel better between 2 and 4 weeks, and I read from another more conservative source that 8 weeks is enough to evaluate your treatment.

The other two reasons that let me up to 60 mg is that I am now with my fammily, which makes me feel safer, and that I barely felt side effects from upping to 40 mg.

• Posted

Yes, everyone is different and respond to different types of SSRI's and different doses too.  It's always trial and error getting the balance just right.

Some people can feel the benefits around 2-4 weeks, others much later.  Again we're all different.  Evaluating at 8 weeks is good, though people are usually at different stages in recovery by then.

Depression is such a weird illness isn't it.  I hope everyone finds their journey through this to recovery.

• Posted

Hi danilo

That sounds like such a big dose but i dont know much about it. Im in 8th week and really only  just started feeling noticable improvement in last two weeks but not without some downsides too. This is your second change of dose isnt it, some people say changing dose upset their recovery and prolonged side effects - I wonder if this has affwcted you in that way? Ita so hard to know isnt it?, Hopefully it'll work out for you.

Are you having some kind of therapy alongside the meds? I've got first assessment booked for january so we'll see what affect that has on my recovery.

Hope brighter times come soon for you. Take care

Vix

• Posted

Hi vix,

according to my leaflet 60 mg is the max for depression. The transition from 20 to 40 mg was quite smooth, nothing compared with when I started to take 20 mg. I will keep you guys informed about my treatment, so you can decide better what to do.

Take care smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.