Upper abdominal niggle @ times!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I had a tightness around my middle (breastbone) below & into the left rib cage. I went to my Dr she examined me & she said all fine & that it was anxiety which I was having & the time. She upped my dose of Sertraline from 50mg to 100mg & have felt a lot better. However, very rarely when I happen to bend forward, like mopping kitchen floor, I get this slight 'digging in feeling' in my middle as if something is sticking in. It's not a pain just a slight discomfort, surely this can't be anxiety as am so much better. Does anyone else expirience this @ times & if so, what is its. Aide, please. I am an IBS sufferer as well, but, wouldn't think the two would be connect. I would appreciate any info on this. Many thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you had an ultra sound done to check for polyps and stones in your gullbladder. Which could be causing some of these symptoms

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying, much appreciated!I had ultrasound two years ago & found that I had 2/3 small gallstones with a lot of 'sludge' there, that's what they told me! They said they shouldn't bother you but, if they do, that's the time to have them removed. Their was no mention of polyps @ the time, unless of course, they have developed in the meantime, who knows. Do you think they would be benign & Not cancerous? I never thought about my gallstones may cause this, it is logic, I suppose could be a stone that sticks in @ times that may cause the 'sticking in feeling' if I bend forward .

• Posted

IBS and anxiety are connected.  The pain you are getting when bending could be your IBS.  Everyone experiences different types of pain; I had four.  This new pain will be making you anxious to find out what it is.  So in turn, you will get more pain.  I get more IBS pain when I am anxious.  The other possibilty is that your increased dose of anti depressants may be disagreeing with you. You body may be struggling to cope with the new amount you are taking.  Either ask your doctor to reduce your dose again or try a different medication.

• Posted

Thank you Pippa for your reply, much appreciated.

Yes, you are right the more you worry the more anxious you get, it is a 'vicious circle' funny you say it could be my IBS as have just had a funny upset 'gripy' tummy ache but, as I am lucky in that I don't have too many IBS upsets these days, not like I had before, I never related it to that. I get awful backache with it which, I have just had, so who knows. I had some lovely shredded beetroot with a salad, do you know whether beetroot can upset your IBS. Also, Never thought about my increased dose of Sertraline that I am on now, tho, got on well when on 50mg, will take note of that, tho, you say my body may be struggling to cope, would that give me that feeling of 'sticking in' - who knows, the body works in mysterious ways @ times, but, once again thank you for taking the time to reply to me & help me understand more.

• Posted

Trigger foods vary.  Sometimes raw vegetables can be hard to digest for those of us who have IBS.  Cooking the offending vegetable can make it easier on your stomach. Try this to see if it helps or cut it from your diet If it is still a problem food.  Back pain is also common with IBS; I had back ache too.

Sometimes the body has a hard time adjusting to medication when you start it for the first time or you increase the dose and you can have strange reactions.  Try reducing your dose first of all to see if the reaction goes away.

• Posted

Thank you hun, will try this & take your advice, so kind, appreciate your time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.