upper abdominal pain ...help

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all, new to this..... ive been drinking alot for the last 3 years, i've always liked a social drink but for the last 3 i've been self medicating depression with alcohol.

basically i appear to be suffering from what feels like a gnawing ache in my upper abdomen. i feel full almost, its not really pain, just uncomfortable.

has anyone else experienced this? i've not drank for 3 days snd it appears to be getting worse

thanks for the help

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Are you going to the bathroom ok?  Hydrated and eating?  How much were you drinking each day before you stopped?  It's very possible something that will pass, but also possible that it could be something that needs attention.  I would have a checkup from a doctor and tell them the whole situation.  I've self-medicated too and for me, the pain that I was trying to eliminate always came back worse.  A doc might be able to diagnose your pain by simply touching your abdomen and running a few blood tests.  Hopefully, they can also get you in a good place as far as treating your depression.  Are you having any trouble not drinking, like craving or other withdraw symptoms?  There is medication that can help get you through that too to get you on the right track.

• Posted

everything is normal, i eat and drink water. go to the loo normal too. aside from a bit of irritability and sweats i'm ok, not interested in a drink tbh as i'm not sure whats up with my tummy.

i'd usually be sinking between 4 to 8 cans of stella a day, sometimes taking days off, never drink spirits though .

• Posted

Hi have you thought you may have a stomach ulcer. Apart from being a recovered alcoholic i suffer with 3 bowel diseases but am tested also for stomach ulcers due to my symptoms. It's probably worth getting checked out just in case as alcohol will aggravate it !!

• Posted

i thought maybes an ulcer would hurt more , thanks for the response
  • Posted

so i've woken up this morning with an appetite and my tummy is much better. drinking plenty of water and don't have any withdrawl symptoms. wondering if it could possibly be gastritus? going to give myself till december abstinent then get my doctor to check me out, hopefully i can repair things?

• Posted

Hi it does sound very much like it i have 3 bowel diseases and as soon as I got soba OMG I think everything got soba and hit big time. Obviously now being soba 7 years has helped alot but I still get issues now and again but do get it checked out just to give yourself piece of mind. It's easy treatable but get it checked out. Get well soon anyway !!

• Posted

so it sounds like an ulcer yeah? i'm scared to go see the doc tbh, typical burying my head in the sand, stupid really , hope ur health keeps improving

• Posted

Trust me get it checked out it will at least help you put your mind at rest ! You will have bloods done and will have to have a scan done to confirm anything that's giving you trouble. It don't hurt and you won't feel a thing. Excuse this but stop being a tit and get it checked out 😊

• Posted

how rude!! haha ok thank you for the advice smile
  • Posted

Hi Leila.

Yes i do have symptoms you describe. I feel bloated all the time and can hardly eat. Im pretty sure its due to the affect of alcohol on my stomach and /or Liver. Its even worse after ive gone on a bender so thats how i figured its alcohol related. It feels almost like ive been punched in the stomach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.