Upper back ache (left side)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there

Just joined the forum. The last 3-4 weeks I've been experiencing pain in my upper back... On the left side, possibly near the shoulder blade but is hard to locate.

I saw a physio yesterday and he treated the local area and gave me a few exercises to do for the next week or so.

This pain has been keeping me up all night and even just sitting or standing, the pain just pulses in and out, a little bit down my arm.

Context:

I'm a pianist. Recently moved house and sleeping on new mattress. Just bought a topper for the mattress as I assume the mattress is too firm - I'm a side sleeper.

Any tips on being able to stay asleep at night? The pain goes right into my arm and only seems to be alleviated when I am in child's pose.

Thank you and let me know if I can provide any more information.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

First things first! You probably have a pinched nerve in upper back under shoulder blade. Go to the chiro and have him/her adjust if its too aggrevated you will need to ice it and wait until swelling of muscle goes down. Your job/side hobby as pianist could be what is causing tension in shoulders. Any continuous sitting arms out looking down like at a desk, driving or in your case piano will eventually cause strain in muscles. Ask a Chiro for exercises to do and do those! Take breaks in between playing. Stop and stretch shoulders, neck, arms. When you sleep try real hard to lay on your back not shoulders on side. Not while you have muscle strain and pinched nerve. It will get worse causing more pain in back and down arm so don't wait. See a back doctor. Also a good professional massage will help. Hope you get better soon!
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Tina! I have been trying to sleep on my back and it's getting better but most often in the morning, I get pain down my arm (also around shoulder) that forces me awake... Hard to sleep through it.

Would the pinched nerve cause aching in the arm? My arm is feeling quite tired and sore

• Posted

Try sleeping on the "good" side, and get a nice fluffy pillow and use it to support your whole arm on the side that bothers you. That way your arm is not sloping down across your body and pulling on your shoulder.  This should be more comfortable. Start taking an antii-inflammatory on a regular basis.  ALEVE is probably the best.  Then I would suggest asking your doctor to order a CT scan.  Good luck to you.  
  • Posted

Hey guys

Pain is alleviating ever so slightly. Still have a pulsing pain in my shoulder... Only just yesterday, a couple fingers have gone numb

I'm seeing the osteo in two days. Should I be worried?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.