Upper Back Pain, constipation, bleching, gas...you name it...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 64 year old woman.  Pretty healthy all my life.  Watch what I ate and stay active.  I'm also a high energy, high strung female (Italian descent).  I'm also a worry wort. Always thinking the worst when it comes to doctors and tests.  I have been experiencing for the past 6 weeks upper back pain, aches and pains down my leg and throughout my body, constipation, blood on stool (which I believe was caused from hemorrhoids) bleching, bloating, stomach pains, gas and heartburn.  It wakes me up at night.  It has literally causing me so much pain I can't do anything.  I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy back in 2014.  I was diagnosed with one polyp and a small hiatal hernia.  I have experienced in the past 4 months alot of stress taking care of my mom and working.  Trying to juggle both.  My diet has been off plus I haven't exercised.  I went to my gastroentrologist the other day and he has me scheduled for an abdominal ultrasound tomorrow.  I can't seem to shake these fears.  I'm hoping it's just IBS or acid reflux but would it last for 6 weeks?  I'm in need of some advice and support.  I'm doing this alone.  Just really scared...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

oh dear don't be afraid!

6 weeks is really not a lot! I have been suffering for 8 months and it's only now that I bothered to visit a doctor. 

Stress can and will cause a lot of symptoms! It can be an ulcer to be honest which can cause all the symptoms you have mentioned. 

However we are no doctors and only they can put your mind at rest.

I'm sorry to hear you are alone in this. Stay strong and be positive.

In bocca al lupo smile

• Posted

Thank you Josh.  Words of encouragement always manages to ease some of the (mental) stress.  I will keep the forum posted once I know what is going on.  I believe it's mind over matter with us but like you said the doctor will confirm if I need a therapist or if I have a medical condition.  They say to keep busy and take your mind off the pain.  In my case that's easier said than done...lol..You stay strong too.  Ciao
  • Posted

You sound a lot like me. I'm 60, reasonably fit and healthy but going through a bad patch. Worry is awful and I always fear the worst. Are you on any medication for your heartburn which is most likely caused by your hiatus hernia? Certainly the lansoprazole I take causes constipation, something I've never suffered from before. I'm taking it for gastric ulcers which I've discovered today have healed but I still have an area of gastritis and I'm being retested for h.pylori. My symptoms, at their worst, are burning in my stomach and discomfort which can radiate into my back. I also think the medication can give you wind. The fact that you've had an endoscopy and colonoscopy recently should reassure you. My husband has suffered with acid reflux for at least 30 years but his life has been transformed by taking just 10mg of omeprazole every day. However if he's stressed about anything he usually has to increase the dose.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

• Posted

Hi Liz, yes I've been taking Lizness and just now been taking omeprazole 40 mg.  Yes, these anti acid medication can give you constipation which I think could be causing the upper back pain.   I haven't been tested for h.pylori yet but I will ask them tomorrow about it when I go for the ultrasound.  It's the pain in my upper back that causes me more concern than my constipation pain.  Upper back pain can be a serious organ illness and at my age, well, youth is not on my side.  No cancer in my family or heart attacks but that's doesn't mean anything these days anymore.   I'm happy to hear your husband finds relief with omeprazole.  I hope something gives and I get my life back.  I probably won't get the results back for a day or so.  When I do, of course I will keep you guys posted.  It's nice to know I'm not alone with these symptoms. 
  • Posted

Hi Patti

I am a 64 year old male with some of the same symptons that you describe, I really do find that the biggest improvement I have is mainly due to being careful what I eat without being over fanatical. Also I have an 86 year old mother who is very ill with diabetes and heart trouble so this adds to the symptons by way of worrying and feeling the responsibility. My symptoms have been with me for a number of years now so I should't worry about 6 weeks. Hopefully you will find some relief soon.

• Posted

Hi Rob, I try to eat healhy but I'm going to pay more attention to my diet and start a new regiment of alkaline foods along with gluten free foods. See how that works. Also my biggest downfall is snacking before I go to bed and with a hiatal hernia that is a big no, no. Also I need to learn how to relax and stay calm. If you're tense while you eat it will backfire on you. Will see what the ultrasound detects and hopefully if I am diagnosed with some illness it can be cured. Thank you for your support. I will post once I know something.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.