upper body pain

Posted , 15 users are following.

My friend who is on her 7th year of PMR and down to 5.5mg  met someone today who was diagnosed with PMR  3 weeks ago and started on 8mg!!  This sounds unbelievable to me.  She is already down to 6mg and feels ok.      How can this be?  She said she had bad upper body pain and couldn't dress herself and lift her arms at the start.   Is it possible to have a very mild attack and start off on 8mg???   I can't help feeling she will come a cropper if she is dropping this fast if it really is PMR.     Would appreciate some thoughts out of interest...

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

PMR usually doesn’t last longer than 2 years.
    • Posted

I wish that were true too....I `m in my 6 th year and struggling at 8mg!sad
    • Posted

If only that was true, over 7 years now and so many ups and downs. I actually feel quite cross when I,m told it should ONLY be two years.!!!!!. I like most people on this forum would love to be free of this illness and we certainly don't want to be taking steroids for longer than necessary.

• Posted

Really? Tell that to the birds!!!! As I'm sure you have already gathered from the other responses. 

Only about 25% of patients with PMR are able to get off pred in 2 years or less and they are felt to remain at a higher risk of a relapse at some later date. About half take up to 4 to 6 years to get off pred with about 1/3 of patients in total still being on pred at 6 years. The last quarter take longer, 5% in total have PMR for the rest of their life.

• Posted

I've had it twice; 3 years and 5 years. Only wish you were right.

• Posted

Hi everyone, As has been said many many times, PMR is a very personal journey and different for everyone but to respond to this latest question. I was diagnosed with PMR May 2016. Like everyone, was terrified of going on steroids and negotiated with my GP that I would 'manage the pain!' I didn't and ended up going back to the GP in a matter of weeks in tears begging for the steroids. I was rolling out of bed in the mornings, terrible pain at night, pain in shoulders and hips, waddling when walking and was struggling with basic dressing. I have always been a keen member of a gym and couldn't attempt any of my usual classes which was very depressing. I was an emotional wreck most of the time. My GP started me on 5 mgs  October 2017 and although I noticed an improvement in 24 hours I wasn't pain free so we increased to 7mgs. This was miraculous for me........I am gradually weaning off the steroids following the tried and tested procedure and am working towards 5mgs now. I have had a couple of blips with the weaning, not resulting in increased pain but dizziness and nausea. Anyway, after 12 months, I am pain free and back to the gym but more gentle classes than I used to do. I know this isn't the usual pattern of PMR for most people but it's important to describe the range of 'journeys' that are out there and, for me starting on the lower dose and increasing worked. 

• Posted

How interesting and so glad it is working for you now.  Good luck for the future and your drops.
  • Posted

diana21296, some people have a short journey, some long, some a smooth journey, some bump. The first 10 months of mine was smooth. I had from 20 mg to 7 and I had a flare, had go to 30 to get relief. I had to roll into my doctor appointment in a wheelchair. I am now trapering to 11, had 2 small flares under 15.

We are all different with individual cases. Good luck to your friends, but remember it is not a race. 🙂

• Posted

It is most definitely not  a race - I am a tortoise!  Started on 30mg nearly 2 years ago and dropped slowly to 8.5.  I know 15 females who have had/got PMR and not one of them was off pred within 2 years.  I also have 4 male friends who were all off in 2 years from 30mg,  But conversely, I also know one chap who has been on 5mg for 20 years and a male Dr who cannot get below 3.5mg!!  Also a vet who started on 10mg and was kept at that level for 2 years!         But it seems usually it is much easier for men than women to get down to the zero club.  Never mind, Onward and Upward Mr Smiler!  You have the right attitude for sure and I enjoy your posts!
    • Posted

Thanks, I try and call it as I see it.

Stay positive and smile, life is good. 🙂

• Posted

Diane, I think initial dose is higher then people need to get rid of accumulated inflammation. After that  you are looking for "maintenance" dose, that manages PMR symptoms. This dose depends on how active PMR is and is very individual and also can change over time. I think your friend is lucky to have mild version that can be managed with relatively lower dose.

• Posted

diana, my initial dose was 20 mg then 9 months later a flare need 30 mg to get rid of accumulated inflammation build up from 7 mg to 30 mg in little steps. Now as soon as I get a flare I bump my dosage quickly. SMILING 🙂

• Posted

If it is diagnosed very quickly and is a mild episode where the longterm dose may be as little as 5mg or less then 8mg may well be enough if there isn't much residual inflammation to clear up. There is also the bioavailability to think of - some people absorb 90% of what they take, others only 50%. Someone could start on 15mg but only effectively get 7.5mg while another takes 8mg and effectively gets nearly 7.5mg. I know a couple of people who started on 10mg and that worked fine. 

• Posted

Is the comment about absorption rate applicable to Prednisolone as well? 
    • Posted

Comment about rate?

Bioavailabilty is "the proportion of a drug or other substance which enters the circulation when introduced into the body and so is able to have an active effect.". So in the case of pred, do you absorb 50% of the stuff you swallowed - or 90% of it. Rate differs too but it gets there eventually and you look at the area under the curve if you draw the graph. That's why injected stuff is "better" - it all gets there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.