Upper center abdominal pain when walking. Tender to touch. What is this?

Posted , 2 users are following.

my name is Andy, I have a question for you im hoping you may be able to answer, or give me your opinion. i've asked this before. back in october I was under a lot of stress bc my uncle passed away. I stressed out so much I had what felt like a crawling tingling sensation go down my throat, it hit me where my esophagus meets my stomach. i got a warm sensation, and got real sick so i went to bed. I was laying on my back, and i jerked hard enough that i moved forward like your doing a sit up. when i did i felt something move or pull in my upper abdominal area under my breastbone. It was tender when I touched it so I thought I just pulled a muscle but I rolled over on my right side and 15 minutes later my mouth started burning the next morning when I got up I could barely walk I went to take a step, and something would pull in the same area, I had pain in my chest that went all the way into my throat. I went shopping with my brother, and got out of breath walking to his car. I could't stand the seatbelt on my chest the pressure was so bad. I have reflux, but this incident has made it worse. The back of my mouth stays red, it wasnt like that before. It also hursts to walk. The only way i can get relief is with hydrocodone. I have had an EGD Ultrasound CT, and X-ray all are normal. my upper center abdominal area is still tender to touch. I noticed that when I press down the pain goes to my lower back, where my waist is Do yall have any Idea what this could be. is this a Hiatal hernia. my doctor told me if i had one it would have showed on the EGD and all those tests. The chest pain has left. I dont have shortness of breath anymore. the pain is just real bothersome, and I dont really have an appitite either

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hallo Andrew..please forgive me for taking so long to reply....but i have been so busy...with Christmas coming up...and with having my hiatus hernia playing me up!! I have to.take things slowly.....well i.fel sure the tests they gave you were the very best they could have given you...and feel sure that most certainly would have detected an hiatus hernia..if that was the case.......so i do think.that you can rest assured you dont have one.....my hiatus was found by having an enderscope put down into my stomach....with a camera...and this showed up the hernia.....i have not had any soreness or pain when wallking....ever....the hiatus hernia ....mostly causes digestive problems....the pain you discribe could well be a muscular problem...it it hurts when you are walking...and also.effecting your back.....it does nt sound at all like an hiatus hernia problem.....but a muscular problem..would certainly play up.when you walk.....i know you will not feel much like eating...mainly because you.are very tense...full of worry about your condition....and living on your nerves.... Which curbs your appetite....nothing like stress and worry..to.ruin your appetite.....try to relax....eat little!! instead of a big meal..... Will help.your stomach to.digest it better....if it continues....after resting...and eating little and often.....you must go.back and see your doctor....till the cause is found.....you dontbsay if your bowel is working properly....are you going to the toilet? And are your motions normal?....and the water works.....if these are ok....you will be digesting your food ok....but dont go.long periods with out eating...eat small amounts little and often...rather than large meals...till your appetite returns....and rest...and keep.calm..because if you stress it will.make things worse.....i know for sure that lots of things we get..can be a real pest...and painful...but not serious....and in time ..with our help...go.away....but if it does continue...after resting ...etc...go.back to the Dr...and ask for help....to.investigate further......thy cant refuse you!!....but rest....eat little and often.....keep calm....you can always talk to.me...if you.get worried....try not to.stress..because it makes it worse....i know if the tests they did...and believe me, if there had been any nasties it would have been seen.......try to enjoy Christmas with your family....but if the pain continues ....go back and tell them!!.Shirley ...

• Posted

Thank you Shirley, talking to you has really helped me. Thats what I keep telling myself, if there was something there they would have found it. My mom keeps telling me the same thing, and so did my GP. My gastro doctor told my mom when he put the scope down my throat that everything looked good. That was hard for me to believe, at the time, because of how I felt at the time. The only thing I cant figure out is why my reflux has got worse all of a sudden. My mom is wondering the same thing. Before all this mess happened I was able to get off my reflux medicine, and was doing great, with no problems. My GP did say I should have never taken such a high dose of antibiotic. It was Amoxicillin 875mg twice a day, and I could tell on the second day of taking it that my reflux was acting strange. I should have stopped it right then, but I didn't. My brother is a pharmacist at Walmart, and he said thats the maximum dosage. Where are you from? If you dont mind me asking. Hope you feel better soon.

Andy

• Posted

Hallo Andrew...Merry Christ mas to you and your family!.i feel sure that the tablets ..that you mention..really upset the apple cart...and caused your reflux to.get worse.....i.make a big point of not taking .any thing apart fro.my stomach Meds.....because they upset me then i.suffer....be careful......if in doubt....leave it out ok!!. Been there..got the tee shirt!!..you rest ....eat plain food.....no..xmas cake..stuffing etc......just yet...let it settle down....then introduce things very slowly...keep calm.ok.. If you need to.talk....always here for you... I live in North yorkshire......was

Born here......but my mums family on her Dads

Side came from.Scotland so.today because my Mum.is no.longer with us..passed away a few yrs ago..i.shall.be wearing my tartan!!.....to bring her and my Dad....a yorkhire man ......closer.... ..takecare......God Bless you...and your family......have the very best day you can...dont worry!! You will.get well.again....just leave off the tablets..our stomachs hate them!!!....Best Wishes...S hirley

• Posted

Wow so your from the UK. Did i get that right. I love London, I've never been, but I find it fascinating. I watch a lot of British TV. One of my favorite shows is The Great British Baking Show. I live in the US in the state of Arkansas. I'm on a bland diet pretty much, because my mom had a stroke back in 2010, and they put her on a no salt diet. So everything she cooks is pretty much bland. Its hard for her some days especially now with it being Christmas. You have a good Christmas Shirley, and best wishes to you too.

Andy

• Posted

I've noticed to that I'm burping alot more than normal.

• Posted

Hallo. Andrew....please .dont be too worried about the burping!! You are most probably....swal lowing air ...while you are eating....take time eating ...chew each mouthful well..be fore y ou swallow......and dont drink.

while eating....drink after you meal....you are more than likely ...swallowing air.....while you are eating....and causing....wind.....to become trapped... Which ..makes you burp....a lot....take time eating....chew well.every mouth full before you swallow....and take it slowly....dont rush your meal....it causes you to.swallow air....which causes ....frequent burping..... So you Live in the USA...such a huge country...so.many beautiful.places...i.have always wanted to visit Colarado....

where John Denver lived...i.was a great fan of his...still.am....got all his Albums........was so.sad..when he got Killed....such a shame.....he left far too.soon......London is busy ...and very noisy...there are some beautiful.places of interest...to visit...but i.much prefer open country .side.. To large towns and cities.....more relaxing....you have some Beautiful places in U S A...i would be spoilt for choice....yorkshire is the lagest county in uk.and has many places of beauty to visit....but i.have lived in Malaysia....which is very hot...and will.always be close to.my heart.....and i liketo.visit....when i.can..... Take good care...our digestive system...can be a real nuisence..when

it plays up.....and makes us .feel awful....it is our power house...so we have to.treat it kindly..and respect it ..or it gives us problem..eat little and often...rather than big meals...it will help.a lot....drink after food...not with!!....eat slowly.....chew each mouthful....well before you swallow....and relax a while after eating....it does help...keep your stress down..relax!!...because your stomach will.respond to.that...stay calm.....it will.reward you....Shirley.

• Posted

Thanks Shirley. This disease is a hard thing to live with. I would take a broke finger or a headache over this any day. I'm a big fan of Reba McEntire. have been for a long time. Hope you had a good christmas.

Andy

• Posted

Hallo Andrew...hope you are doing reasonably well...and you enjoyed Christmas....cant tell you a fib...i am glad its over....all i want is longer days...we are into.winter mode now!!...and by 4pm its dark here....does not get light again till 8am..how i hate it...always makes me feel miserable...lack of daylight!! I.have to.use a daylight lamp...to.help.lift my flagging spirits....cant wait till Spring.....the pain you get when walking...could be caused from acid....which causes....soreness....i get soreness. Just below my rib cage ..on my left side....which hurts when i walk....i know its inflammation caused by acid....not very nice....perhaps this is your problem too.......stomach problems are a real nuisence..make you feel really.....stop the world...i want to.get off!!.....you take good care!!..hope you have a very happy new year...and your family...just gone 3.30pm here...already getting dark !!...well!! Have to.think myself...very Lucky....i dont live...in Alaska....must be terrible.......you take good care...rest whenyou can....eat little and often...better for poorly Tums... My very Best wishes......Shirley .. Take decaffinated tea.....cut down on coffee....lots of acid content....

• Posted

hey Shirley sorry i haven't wrote you back. I had a pretty good New Years. you mentioned having pain under you left rib. I'm also hurting under my left rib. out of all the years Ive had acid reflux I have never had any pain in that area until that little episode I had. I talked to my GP and he said all my test's that ive had. have all came back normal. They cant find anything, which is very strange considering the symptoms Im having. when I jerked forward it felt more like a pop. Then after that. Thats when everything got turned upside down. see though your symptoms are more like what I'm Experiencing. which takes my mind back to a hernia, but as I said before they didnt find anything. I do have a appointment with my GI doctor April 23rd so hopefully I can get some answers. My main worry is my esophagus, and the damage. I had reflux before all this, and now its much worse. My symptoms have got a little better. my throat still hasn't cleared up. none of this makes since. if there is nothing there. Then what caused all this. You mentioned coffee.... that is my weakness. I have a coffee machine at work also...but I no longer can drink coffee at work. because of this, hopefully it will get better. Best wishes....Andy

• Posted

Hi!! Andy...so good to.hear from you...i have been wondering how you have be doing...glad you enjoyed new year....do hope that you have a good one....and that your problems...will start to.settle down....i know all too well...what a complete disruption it canbe to.your daily life..having had the wretched problem.....for years.....and under a flare up.at the moment....so.i do.understand how you feel...and your concerns...but i.am very happy ☺ that your tests all came back good!!.... But does look.like ...you and i.have something in common......reflux disease.....which is not easy to cure...so we have to.do.all we can...and take great care with our diet...to.keep.the bouts down....best we can.... To help control.it best we can....and even then at times ..it will...raise its ugly head....firstly Andrew watch your diet....keep away from very fatty foods...that includes .meats....cut back on beef....if you do.eat...make sure all fat us removed...and take just a small.portion.....pork...leave alone....and Lamb..same has beef......chicken is good..but not fried....all kinds of fish..but not fried!!....roasted ...or casseroled are best...but dont eat the skin....green vedges cooked ...most vedge .is good....potatoes..but nothing fried....cut back on sugary foods....and full cream milk..skimmed is best for us.....or Goats!!.....if you can get some...i.take all the time.....oat porrige in the morning will. Start your day off well.....with a little milk....and for a treat a little honey......whole meal bread is better than white.....no!! Beef burgers!!....you will.find out by trial and error...what is best fir you....Andrew ..stop the coffee!!...its packed with acid......i.know your national drink...but reflux hates it...and gives you big probs.....yes Andrew i also get pain in my rib area.....caused by stomach acid....from the reflux..like you having it now.....but not had it for ages.....but Reflux can strike when we least expect it.....pest....take rest...when you can....watch your diet......give your self love and care...take your meds....and it should settle down.....but then it can return...so.take great care...please keep.in contact with me....then i.can help you best i.can....always happy to.hear from you.and help.....Best to.you.. And your family.... Shirley

• Posted

hey Shirley. its so good to hear from you. Some of my symptoms have got better. The burning mouth has stopped...somewhat. my throat is still irritated . It's just so strange how one movement can cause so many issues. People I have talked to, and even nurses I work with find it strange. Some days I get down hearted. I just dont want this to have a bad impact on my health in the long run. Before all this I had been following my diet to the letter. Not eating after 6 pm didnt snack between meals, and had no reflux symptoms. Then after that one movement I did, everything changed. Talking to you helps alot. I hope my GI doctor can shed some light on this. All I can do is take what the doctors have told me, and hope, and pray that my symptoms will slowly go away. I just find it hard to believe that they havent found anything when my symptoms say other wise. before all this you wouldn't even know I had reflux, because I was having very little symptoms. No burning mouth no abdominal pain, no throat tightness...nothing. Best wishes to you...Andy

• Posted

Hallo again

Andy...reading your mail...i.know exactly how you feel.....i too often wonder Why me? Its such a nasty miserable problem.....which has a real devastating effect on your.daily life...which is very hard to deal with....and in the course of making it a hobby more or less..to.find out more about it...i.was greatly surprised to find out...just how many people have it...old and young...and some poor children...have it from birth....such a very common problem...not just here in UK...or America..

..but all over the world.....which gives me the idea ..that some how in our make up....we have a weakness ...which at some point ...starts it.....perhaps in due course...some one will.find a way of preventing it....and it will be a thing of the passed.. But for us now...all we can do..is try our level best...to.take measures to.make us feel comfortable... So we can get on with our daily life.....not easy!!...but we just do.our best.what i did when it started ...was make a list of what i.ate.....if it caused a problem.... I cut out a couple of things i.had eaten ....to.see if it did not reoccur the next time...if it did...then i would stop.eating them...and try other things...till.i.had quite a list ofthings that did.....so i.avoid these.....takes a,while..but does help.......that way i found out what i can tolerate that will not upset me.....i used to get very upset....and up tight....which made matters worse....because stress causes us to.make more acid....so try to.stay calm....get enough rest.....important!!....make sure that whenyou.sleepyou have enough pillows..so.you are sat up....so.that acid does not reflux up ...in the night....to.cause ...your mouth and tongue to.burn.....from the acid..........keep a glass of water by your bed...so.you can sip..if your mouth becomes dry in the night....i.too.like you get burning tongue and mouth....which is very unpleasant....i find that TUMS.....tablets you suck to.relieve the burning help.a lot....so.many people here take them..who.have the problem...and find them.helpful....i feel sure you will.be able to.buy in the USA......dont take with your Dr,s medications...wait a good while first......they come in fruit FlavoBut not

to.take more than 7 tablets a day.....you suck them....... Very good for stopping burning....also if you do.get burning....put a level teaspoonful.of your Mums...baking soda......bi. Carbonated soda....into.a glass of water stir well...then gargle ... And rinse your mouth....helps to.cool it down.......its the acid which upsets the taste buds...on your tongue.....which makes it burn....the Bi..carb....stops it........and keep.calm....chill out!!...and rest....much has you.can...hopefully it will settle down....get a good Probiotic...from the pharmacy..to.help.your gut !!... I.take every day....just one a day...helps the fight!!... Puts in goodies....wipes out the baddies.....if you can drink.lots i ofwater. Makes the acid weaker....and meals are better taken...little..but more often...than sitting down to.a large meal....helps a lot.......dont worry Andy....with little steps...and Big ones!!...we will.get there.....!!!....try to.get some slippery elm powder from your pharmacy......you canmake a

pleasant drink. with.it...wonderful. For...poorly tums...

came

From your north American indians.....a very special food indeed...used to.live onit...when

the Buffalo got scarce.....marvelous for poorly stomachs.....and reflux....just two tablespoons in a mug..mix to.a paste..with a little milk..top.up with warm.milk...stir hard..then drink..most helpful...for reflux.......take care Andy...all. my very best to.you.....remember....where there is a will !!....there is always a way......we will.beat it!!....keep.in touch.....good to.talk to you.......Shirley . Always here if you needto.talk...

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Shirley it is really helpful. I have already raised the head of my bed about 6 inches off the floor. I'm going to have to get some of that Slippery Elm Powder. My small pharmacy doesn't carry it. I'll probably have to order it online. what is the name of the probiotic that you use?

• Posted

I get my probiotics from company here..who.produce their own....but if you go.to.a good pharmacy.and tell them that you have a gut problem....they will.probably introduce you to.a good one......which will.suite your needs....if you go.to.a shop that deals with health foods...you will.probably get the slippery elm...its really good for poorly tums.i.always keep some in........get some Tums...too...will help with the reflux and burning..take great care of your self....stay calm!...get enough rest and sleep....your body heals during rest...give your self!!...tender..loving ..care!!....it will. Reward you..go on the internet.and look for a good diet......to.help reflux disease....it will.help.....so.you dont upset your self.....andknow what is best to.keep the acid under control..keep in touch......Shirley ...you will.get there!!.....where there is a will!! There is always a way!!...

• Posted

Thanks Shirley. Talking to you really lift's my spirits up. Thanks so much for the advice. I'm just taking it one day at a time, thats all I can do. We can't go back, though sometimes I wish we could. we can only go forward. Thanks again...best wishes...Andy

• Posted

You are alwayswelcome...to any help.i can give you.just send me a message.....i.will.answer.....take good care....Shirley.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.