Upper endoscopy and biopsy with severe pain on my back later that day and still. Please help me out.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I just had an upper endoscopy with biopsy yesterday morning. I came home and for about the first few hours I was fine (probably from anesthesia and Valium given to me) but after that "boom" pain in my back about 3 inches from my shoulders down as well, right in the middle of my spine, the worst of it is when I swallow, I swallow and I literally can count to 5 and pian shoots thru that spot on my back, also when I take a deep breath and lift my left arm mostly but my right as well, , the go doc says everything went fine. This lets me know that's not true. I'm so scared. My husband and kids are as well. I haven't had food in my body for 23 days. Only ensure and boost is keeping me going but ever since yesterday's scope and biopsy I haven't been able to even take a sip of water without that pain wrenching me over in pain and screaming for whoever is around to take the pain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Jamie I had one just a few days ago,  but opted not to go for anaesthesia or Valium and have been fine.

if that’s happening then I would go to the hospital or GP and raise your concerns asap.

I would follow your instinct, if it doesn’t feel right, then don’t leave it, go and have it checked out ASAP.

hope all is well, letme know how you get on xx

ps didn’t they give you a contact number just in case you have concerns, mine did, if not get help ASAP.

you need to put your mind at rest.

• Posted

Jamie, I've already answered this on your other, identical post, just a couple of hours ago. I really do think you're stressing a bit too much. I repeat here my original reply:

Hi Jamie,

Try to stay calm. These are typical symptoms of residual air in your stomach. They pump in a lot of air during the procedure to distend your stomach so they can see where to take biopsies. Since you had sedation (it wouldn't have been anaesthesia) it's also possible that you struggled and had to be restrained, which could have caused minor muscular problems, but no serious damage. As a former nur se (and someone who's had a gastroscopy under sedation) I know that this sadly happens. But there's absolutely no point in asking your doctor about it as they'll deny everything.

The only signs that your stomach has been seriously damaged would be vomiting black fluid that looks like coffee grounds, or passing copious, sticky, foul-smelling stools that look like tar. Both these are manifestations of bleeding from the stomach. In this event, you should go to the ER/A&E immediately. However, it's almost unheard of for endoscopy to cause serious damage of this kind.

You'll almost certainly make a complete recovery over the next few days. Anxiety and stress result in unconscious tightening of the muscles of your abdominal wall, which in turn increases the pressure on your stomach, causing even more pain. As long as you don't have the symptoms described in the previous paragraph, just try to relax and wait it out. I promise you'll soon be feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.