Upper endoscopy (EGD) Has anyone else had this back pain?

Posted , 56 users are following.

Hi, I've been suffering from sudden heart burn, intense globus sensation and havn't been able to eat well without the feeling of food being stuck since early May. I was finally refered to have an Upper GI. Yesterday I had the upper EGD. Was brought into the preproom, had to put on a gown and nurse placed my IV. Then was moved to the room which looked almost like an OR room (without the big OR lights (Ive had C-sections). I had a mouth piece placed in my mouth so my tounge is tucked and allow for the scope entry.  The Doc read outloud my name, medical vitals, time whereafter the sedatives were given via IV.  (I was given percocet and versed and benadryl - this info was in my aftervisit). I started to feel the sedatives take affect where i was dosing in/out of it - I could still hear the music, I dont remember the insertion, but can hear faint noises in the background. I then remember gagging /dry-heaving and burping throughout the procedure where my eyes would open and see the screen - but was so out of it, it was almost like i was having an out of body expenrience.. It was so awful. I think since they didnt sedate me that much and was in a twilight that i remember this... Was given the images of my endoscopy. The report showed no a normal EGD, so no biopsy was taken from the esophagus, however I was told that biopsies were taken from my stomach to rule out Hpiloi?? ( I find it so wierd that i already had this blood test and came out negative ) When i was experiencing that intense gagging during the procedure and while opening my eyes here and there while doing so, i do also remember seeing a dark cluster of something - which i cant say what that was but left me wondering... and the GI doc didnt mention anything (again, so wierd). Anyhow, was told the procedure went well which i find bothersome, since they did not mention anything about me gagging. The rest of the day, I was really out of it - groggy, mild amnesia (on the ride home, i was dosing in/out and woud have vivid dreams with each dose). When i got home (45 min drive), my back (3" below my shoulder blades) was hurting so bad as if i strained my back really bad. It hurts so bad that would actually feel like it knocks the breath out of me - and when combined with some abdomial pain, it buckles me over. Today I feel the same, horible sore back (same spot) and it comes in intense waves of pain.. I called and was able to speak to the GI doc and all he said was that my procedure went well, look out for crackly sensation to the touch near chest/neck area, high fever or swelling.  I havnt any of these thank GOD, but this back ache is really scaring me .. He also suggested i have a CT scan if it doesnt go away by Monday (which is scary and i dont want any unnecessary radiation) Lastly, he mentioned it may be skeletal/ muscular when they turned me to my side - but that doesnt make sense since I was placed on my side before the procedure and before i was even sedated. I had also asked him how i did during the procedure and told him that i remember some gaging and he was vauge in his reply and said its commom that gagging occurs during EGD's which again is bothersome to me- since i remember this so clearly.  If anyone out there has had this before or have felt muscular soreness please share your story - i need some reassurance this is simply related to fighting this procedure. So sorry for the long message. Thank you!

2 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm going to answer this by private message. PMs via this site don't carry viruses or expose the ID of either party. The message will come in just like any other notification from the Patient site - either into your inbox or your junk mail, depending on your set-up.

• Posted

Hi Lily, I have been suffering from back pain for 6 weeks now, since having my Gastroscopy, so painful. 
    • Posted

Omg, me too. I also have upper and middle back pain for 6 weeks after the endoscopy. It is horrible. Have you seen a doctor?

• Posted

Hi Lilly. I just had an endoscopy today and have back pain. Do you know why?

• Edited

Just an update on my last post where I had horrible back pain after my endoscopy... Thankfully my back pain is almost all back to normal -  This confims that it was all skeletal/muscular that was caused from the gagging during the procedure. Also, I heard back from my GI that I have mild inflamation of my stomach liner and still waiting for the rest of the biopsy results. Note: I reserched this back pain and found little info out there and even consulted with some GI's on this where all said it was "uncommon" and brushed it off .. i was in terrible pain and very worried about this, so just wanted to let ya'll know what I had experienced.  Also, just a side note... in addition to my back pain, I started to feel a gnawing pain in my right side where I'm assuming my biopsy/s may have been taked from(?) where it kept me up throughout the night and lasted a few days (I had never had this feeling before)... this also has gone away and hope it doesnt come back...  

• Posted

So glad to hear that all is well now. I was thinking about you only yesterday and planned to post a little message today asking how you were.
    • Posted

I also feel some pain on my right side as well. I just regret it so much after endoscopy. I haven't felt well since the procedure.

• Posted

I have been suffering from back pain since I have my Gastroscopy 6weeks ago. This is not good. Glad you are better.
  • Edited

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I am experiencing back pain right now. I had an EGD done on Monday and hand lower abdominal cramping a pain on the left side. The next day I started with the back pain and it was so bad I could hardly walk and still are having difficulty moving, lifting my left leg , laying down or sitting without pain. It is not as bad as it was the first day but still very painful. I am not finding much information on the web aboult it.

• Posted

Yes I was sedated and no I have not heard of any others experiencing this kind of pain,,,And I just had this done on March 6 of this year and she found bleeding ulcers and took a biopsy... this time on May 1 was a recheck to see if the ulcers had healed....and they had ...I have had this proedure done many times but this is the first time I have felt pain in my back like this ever.
    • Edited

Hi Ramona. This is nothing to worry about. I'll explain by private message. PMs via this site don't carry viruses or reveal the email address of either party.

• Posted

I had a gastroscopy 10 days ago and colonoscopy 8 days ago and have been having a backache and feeling pressure in my mid and upper back with an occasional sharp pain to the right of my left shoulder blade. I never even thought to consider it could be from the gastroscopy and the gagging reflex, it was quite intense and I was drugged, but remember some of the choking. Now I had my gallbladder removed years ago and I remember the painful discomfort I felt as a result of the gas after the surgery and what I'm feeling right now is remeniscent to that as well.

Since the two recent procedures my back has been very uncomfortable (sore and feeling pressure) and I'm taking over the counter pain relief, but having just read through all these posts, I was convinced it was from the gas, but someone on her mentioned her back muscles aching from the gagging and that actually makes really good sense.

I was drowsy sedated during my gastroscopy, so some parts of my memory are a blur but I do remember retching quite severely. (Funny but on my report they noted one or two episodes of discomfort, but well tolerated..lol, it was not mild from my memory). The choking and gagging is a reflex and you can imagine although we don't remember much from a precedure like that, that unless you were fully knocked out, you will choke and gag. My backache makes perfect sense now.

I feel a bit relieved this morning feeling enlightened as to what is likely the cause of my backache and occasional spasms in one spot. I thought I was going crazy, but 11 days after the gastro, I'm feeling uncomfortable and my skin on my back and torso is very itchy and now I feel confident in knowing it's cause, I feel more at ease. Thank you ladies, I don't feel so crazy now. Also worth noting that during my discharge with the nurse, she never once mentioned I could have a backache. I think it affects many people differently and there are a smaller group of us who are more affected.

All the best,

Liselo

• Posted

I had mine yesterday morning and I'm having back pain atm myself. I just assumed it was from all the air they pumped into me that I haven't gotten rid of because of sleeping most of the day afterwards. I'm hoping mine goes away as well. Feels very uncomfortable. sad

• Posted

You're right, it's almost certainly just the residual air causing problems. Just relax and it will get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.