Upper endoscopy (EGD) Has anyone else had this back pain?

Posted , 56 users are following.

Hi, I've been suffering from sudden heart burn, intense globus sensation and havn't been able to eat well without the feeling of food being stuck since early May. I was finally refered to have an Upper GI. Yesterday I had the upper EGD. Was brought into the preproom, had to put on a gown and nurse placed my IV. Then was moved to the room which looked almost like an OR room (without the big OR lights (Ive had C-sections). I had a mouth piece placed in my mouth so my tounge is tucked and allow for the scope entry.  The Doc read outloud my name, medical vitals, time whereafter the sedatives were given via IV.  (I was given percocet and versed and benadryl - this info was in my aftervisit). I started to feel the sedatives take affect where i was dosing in/out of it - I could still hear the music, I dont remember the insertion, but can hear faint noises in the background. I then remember gagging /dry-heaving and burping throughout the procedure where my eyes would open and see the screen - but was so out of it, it was almost like i was having an out of body expenrience.. It was so awful. I think since they didnt sedate me that much and was in a twilight that i remember this... Was given the images of my endoscopy. The report showed no a normal EGD, so no biopsy was taken from the esophagus, however I was told that biopsies were taken from my stomach to rule out Hpiloi?? ( I find it so wierd that i already had this blood test and came out negative ) When i was experiencing that intense gagging during the procedure and while opening my eyes here and there while doing so, i do also remember seeing a dark cluster of something - which i cant say what that was but left me wondering... and the GI doc didnt mention anything (again, so wierd). Anyhow, was told the procedure went well which i find bothersome, since they did not mention anything about me gagging. The rest of the day, I was really out of it - groggy, mild amnesia (on the ride home, i was dosing in/out and woud have vivid dreams with each dose). When i got home (45 min drive), my back (3" below my shoulder blades) was hurting so bad as if i strained my back really bad. It hurts so bad that would actually feel like it knocks the breath out of me - and when combined with some abdomial pain, it buckles me over. Today I feel the same, horible sore back (same spot) and it comes in intense waves of pain.. I called and was able to speak to the GI doc and all he said was that my procedure went well, look out for crackly sensation to the touch near chest/neck area, high fever or swelling.  I havnt any of these thank GOD, but this back ache is really scaring me .. He also suggested i have a CT scan if it doesnt go away by Monday (which is scary and i dont want any unnecessary radiation) Lastly, he mentioned it may be skeletal/ muscular when they turned me to my side - but that doesnt make sense since I was placed on my side before the procedure and before i was even sedated. I had also asked him how i did during the procedure and told him that i remember some gaging and he was vauge in his reply and said its commom that gagging occurs during EGD's which again is bothersome to me- since i remember this so clearly.  If anyone out there has had this before or have felt muscular soreness please share your story - i need some reassurance this is simply related to fighting this procedure. So sorry for the long message. Thank you!

2 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my Endoscopy done on Friday and since then my neck been very stiff had to go to ER today. I was told it is muscle spasms in my neck maybe from laying on my side during the procedure.

• Posted

This is quite common when the procedure is done under sedation. By sedation, I mean intravenous sedation (benzos etc.), as opposed to actual anaesthesia, which is only very rarely used for endoscopies. I'm sure it will soon wear off.

• Posted

I had my upper endoscopy in JULY and i still have pain my doctors have no solution. It was unnecessary and expensive and now its hard to get around or even breathe! IM 39 years old and have never experienced pain like this. i couldnt move for 6 weeks and i still cant lie on my side or life my arm above my head without severe pain. JUST SHAMPOOING IS A CHALLENGE. IM AFRAID OF SEEING A CHIROPRACTOR because the pain is so bad. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT.

• Posted

omg i feel so bad for you! i also started having back pain after my endoscopy last year. it is 8 months and i can still feel the pain. are you feeling better now? best wishes.

• Posted

Hello! I know this post is older but I was really hoping you could tell me if your back pain ever went away? It has been 4 months now for me. I am hopeful that it will go away eventually.

• Posted

Unfortunately it's almost been 2 years since my endoscopy, my back pain is still here. it is not a sharp pain but a constant dull pain. i've seen many doctors had MRI. Nothing unusual is found. it is frustrating and i still think it is caused by the endoscopy. well nothing i can do for now. just have to live with it.

• Posted

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry 2 years is such a long time. I am already losing my mind. Im 27 and have never had any health problems before this. it just seems crazy that this could be caused by an endoscopy. It makes no sense. I cant life the rest of my life like this.

• Posted

i am very confused too and have no ideas why it is happening. i had some minor stomachache before the endoscopy but i never had the back pain. which part of your back hurts? Mine is in the middle more towards the upper part. and the pain can shift between middle left and right. i hope you will feel better soon !

• Posted

Yes it is super confusing. My back pain is in the upper part of my back right in the middle. I also sometimes get dull chest pains. Have you found anything that helps your back pain? i have never experienced anything like this before in my life. I wish i would have never had the endoscopy done. I had mine done because I had this lump feeling in my throat and my throat would get sore and it would hurt to swallow. Turns out it was just silent reflux. I would love to go back and just have that lump in my throat feeling and not this constant discomfort.

• Posted

yes i totally agree with you, i would never have the endoscopy done. My stomachache pain was not even that bad. my back pain is dull. sometimes it goes away but always comes back.i feel it on a daily basis. so far i haven't found anything effective to stop the pain. i used to think it is caused by acid reflux so i took medicine for that but it didn't help. it is very frustrating since no doctor can explain what is going on with me. Best luck to both of us. Hopefully one day it will go away.

• Posted

Hi I am so happy you're still responding to these after so long it really helps us out.

It seems like I am feeling the EXACT same symptoms. Never in my life have I had this. It all started the day of my procedure about 4 or so hours in later in the evening. (that was about a month ago) I randomly got pain in my back directly in the middle between my shoulder blades. It was dull, achy and somewhat had a burning feeling. It lasted for 4 days pretty bad... It seems to get better for a week and then it will randomly come back. It doesn't seem to be as bad as it was the first four days but I keep getting that same feeling randomly.

I really hope it goes away and I will update you guys on if it does! Advil seems to help it a lot but I don't want to be on that forever. The only thing that is comforting about this is that I am not alone and can see that we all are experiencing the exact same things. I am sure it isn't life threatening but just very annoying. I see some people have it worse than me and I really feel bad for them! Hope you all get better.

Looks like it has been another three months now. Is it better for you now Clare? How often do you get it, does it go away? How do you help the pain?

Josh

• Posted

i just had the same procedure yesterday, and unlike the previous 3 endoscopies, ive been having stomach and back muscle spasms, like a thick rubberband being stretched, and then snapped.

they did biopsies as well, so its possible that combination of biopsies and being placed in a side position, may have started it. its been 20 hrs and im still getting the muscle spasms. afraid to take advil since they did cutting for biopsies. now just waiting for oncall dr to call me back.

• Posted

I know its the worst! I had to call and call to find out what was wrong with me. Then again and again they said they didn't know what was wrong with me. took me about 3 to 5 weeks to have the back pain to be gone or almost gone.

• Posted

3-5 weeks! do you have any idea why we have this back pain?

• Posted

ORRR you could just reply like a normal person so we could all benefit from the answer? That's kinda the point of these message boards you weirdo wth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.