Upper endoscopy (EGD) Has anyone else had this back pain?

Posted , 56 users are following.

Hi, I've been suffering from sudden heart burn, intense globus sensation and havn't been able to eat well without the feeling of food being stuck since early May. I was finally refered to have an Upper GI. Yesterday I had the upper EGD. Was brought into the preproom, had to put on a gown and nurse placed my IV. Then was moved to the room which looked almost like an OR room (without the big OR lights (Ive had C-sections). I had a mouth piece placed in my mouth so my tounge is tucked and allow for the scope entry.  The Doc read outloud my name, medical vitals, time whereafter the sedatives were given via IV.  (I was given percocet and versed and benadryl - this info was in my aftervisit). I started to feel the sedatives take affect where i was dosing in/out of it - I could still hear the music, I dont remember the insertion, but can hear faint noises in the background. I then remember gagging /dry-heaving and burping throughout the procedure where my eyes would open and see the screen - but was so out of it, it was almost like i was having an out of body expenrience.. It was so awful. I think since they didnt sedate me that much and was in a twilight that i remember this... Was given the images of my endoscopy. The report showed no a normal EGD, so no biopsy was taken from the esophagus, however I was told that biopsies were taken from my stomach to rule out Hpiloi?? ( I find it so wierd that i already had this blood test and came out negative ) When i was experiencing that intense gagging during the procedure and while opening my eyes here and there while doing so, i do also remember seeing a dark cluster of something - which i cant say what that was but left me wondering... and the GI doc didnt mention anything (again, so wierd). Anyhow, was told the procedure went well which i find bothersome, since they did not mention anything about me gagging. The rest of the day, I was really out of it - groggy, mild amnesia (on the ride home, i was dosing in/out and woud have vivid dreams with each dose). When i got home (45 min drive), my back (3" below my shoulder blades) was hurting so bad as if i strained my back really bad. It hurts so bad that would actually feel like it knocks the breath out of me - and when combined with some abdomial pain, it buckles me over. Today I feel the same, horible sore back (same spot) and it comes in intense waves of pain.. I called and was able to speak to the GI doc and all he said was that my procedure went well, look out for crackly sensation to the touch near chest/neck area, high fever or swelling.  I havnt any of these thank GOD, but this back ache is really scaring me .. He also suggested i have a CT scan if it doesnt go away by Monday (which is scary and i dont want any unnecessary radiation) Lastly, he mentioned it may be skeletal/ muscular when they turned me to my side - but that doesnt make sense since I was placed on my side before the procedure and before i was even sedated. I had also asked him how i did during the procedure and told him that i remember some gaging and he was vauge in his reply and said its commom that gagging occurs during EGD's which again is bothersome to me- since i remember this so clearly.  If anyone out there has had this before or have felt muscular soreness please share your story - i need some reassurance this is simply related to fighting this procedure. So sorry for the long message. Thank you!

2 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I too am experiencing back pain following an endoscopy. I have had them before with no problems. I feel blown off by the doctor who did the procedure. I called right away about this. No one can give me an answer and I'm in moderate pain. I see on this forum that for some the pain never went away. it hurts to even swallow my own saliva. NO ONE is helping me or giving me any answers at all. it is extremely frustrating.

• Posted

I am so glad to find this post as i thought i was losing my mind and imagining these pains!! i had an OGD done last Thursday, i was sedated and they took some bisopies. I remember nothing about the procedure except feeling it was all very in & out (no explanation of anything or introduction etc). The next day i had really bad back and throat pain. 5 days on and still sore to swallow, reflux is much worse (bitter taste in the back of my throat), pain on right side of my back from my shoulder blade down & my right lower side, plus chest tightness/stabbing pains. I do suffer from anxiety so im sure my fear of what the hell is going on/am i having a heart attack thoughts are adding to the pain. I'm beyond annoyed that i went through with this and had i of known the potential after problems i would not of had the scope done. Prior to procedure i had on/off reflux but on zoton which has kept it largely at bay whereas now i'm in agony. I really hope it will improve asap:(

• Posted

hi. hope you well. Just wondered how you got on as having something similar to what you had post endoscopy. Thank you

• Posted

I had this done over 12 months ago and even though they sedate you you thrash around and they have to keep you still ,it injured my lower back ,I had never had back pain before now I get it regular on and off, when I finally cane round from sedation I had wet myself i was in a right state ,my report did say I had not handled the procedure well , I won't be having another

• Posted

hi im new too the group..... I too had an endoscope done 3 days ago under sedation I didnt know anything even happened too me... until the day after my tummy was sore from the gas... I got over that but the pain in my center chest an back is so sore almost like its brused... I had a few biopsy taken for polyps an awaiting results.... any advice is greatly needed xxx

• Posted

Hi there. I had an EGD yesterday (11/16) I did not experience anything after the sedation, and do not remember even how I got home. Although I woke up today with the back pain ( right shoulder blade). I could not find the information if this is normal. Did it take 6 weeks for your pain to go away?

Thank you!

• Posted

sorry you are not feeling too good. l too had the gastroscopy yesterday 17/11/20. Wanted sedation but my veins are hard to find so after several attempts with no success decided to have it with the throat spray. l must say it was very unpleasant , had a sore throat last night, gargled with salt water which seemed to ease it and its better today but l when l woke up in the morning my back was very painful, still is. Feels like l have been punched hard . Have taken pain relief and warm baths to try ease it. Let me know how you get on and hope you feel better soon. I will also let you know how l get on. All the best Sky x

• Posted

Hmm. I can't speak to knowing anything about thrashing under sedation. Everything I've seen has said otherwise. Also, my experiences. I'm a terrible gagger but even under twilight sedation I have no gag reflex. That being said, I've read several studies that mild to severe myalgia is a side effect of propofol (the sedative commonly used). I went back to my report and saw that propofol used during my procedure. A heating pad has helped. I am going to add nutmeg spray and take a couple of ibuprofen.

• Edited

hiya,

i had a egd two days ago,

im still in bed with very bad cramps in the top of my back.

because i had thoart spray i was able to leave straight away by the time i got home my back was so painful i could not speak eat or walk or drink.

my husband took me to a&e because i was screaming in pain it felt like the top of my back was having contractions.

at a n e they put me straight on a drip with painkillers and muscle relaxstions.

i had bloods taken, xrays all came back fine they think that the camera going down has caused my tube to have spasms and also painful because i had 7 biospys taken.

i still have not eaten and only can slip a drink and that starts the pain off again.

is this whats happening to you and how long before you felt better as i cant do anythink appart from lay in bed.

• Edited

hi linda49391 I am having the same problem I just had the endoscopy yesterday are you still having the same problems?

• Posted

I'm so glad I found this site. I had an endoscopy two days ago.They did not properly prepare me for this experience.

It was painful. i specifically felt hard pain on the left back side of my throat and i struggled and almost knocked the doctor's hand away. I had made long and loud belching sounds and gagged the entire time. What the heck? ! Why dont they put us all the way under?

Yesterday the pain in my throat (where the hard thing was) was horrific . I could hardly drink water.

Today the back pain has set in. The pain actually started in the middle of my chest when i swallowed food, but now its a deep pain in the back.

Glad is kind of normal, but i have to be able to work through this. No time . ugh

• Posted

They took biopsies from my stomach and esophagus and also found a small hiatal hernia. Fun times going on here!

Does it usually take a long time for biopsies to process?

• Posted

Hi, you might find this surprising but I believe it can be anxiety related / induced or muscle spasm related as well. I have this same feeling often, even very acidic taste in my mouth but usually only when I think I have it and I focus on it for a little while. Try to break out of it and see if its correlated in any way to your mood, notice if you feel it more when you might think you're having it, or when your mood is down (especially if you are generally worried about it and you know the symptoms that people feel normally). You probably don't have this when your mood is up or when you do something that gives you positive emotions. I often try to fight it with my brain by forcing myself to believe that I don't have anything and that I am making it up and in a couple of seconds the symptoms go away fully, or I try to redirect the pain and imagine I am feeling it somewhere else in the body. So notice if that makes it go way, if it its that then its anxiety related, I know it feels very real but there's actual studies that show how you throat becomes more sensitive (mentally) and then gives you these sensations or triggers some of the nerves/ muscles that make you feel this way. But please do the necessary medical investigations either way, even for your piece of mind! Please try it, its been quite a revelation for me! All the best!

• Posted

hi! am Gloria , i am suffering from chest front and back front , side pain , its so so painful sometimes i think its heart pain its unbearable pain , i had this before and i went for Gastroscopy and colonoscopy treatment and i was given seduced on this precesses it was 6 weeks ago that procedure done ,its worse now , i also went for CT and MRI scan everything was fine .please help . thank you!

• Edited

yeah mines was chest pain too and heart burn like I dt get it tht should be symptoms tht you get after the endoscopy and its be 4 days and I'm still suffering I had a heart attack on the 21 of dec I will be calling my heart dr monday also to let him knw whts going on ekgs and mri dt work you need to gt a echo or a artery test where they put dye in you time after time when i was complaining about my heart before heart attack all they did was ekgs and mri all they say is oh your hearts fine a bunch of crap!!

they cant see your actual heart ask for a echo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.