Upper endoscopy NO sedation: good experience! Some tips

Posted , 31 users are following.

I just thought I'd post my experience with my upper endoscopy/gastroscopy today, as I'd been putting it off for ages due to the awful stories I read online. I think people are more inclined to post their experience if it's an unsually traumatic one, so I'd like to add another good story to balance it out! 

Background: I'm a 26 year old female. It was about a year ago that my GP pushed for a gastroscopy, but after doing my research, I refused. Even the thought of it made my heart skip a beat. I was in the hospital once for an ultrasound and walked by the endoscopy unit... I remember thinking, no way am I ever going in there! Then this year I suffered a few bad bouts of vomiting, and my GP again encouraged me to have a gastroscopy. By then I was so sick that I just wanted to do whatever I could to help myself. 

So, in preparation, I read as many encouraging experiences as I could. By the time I arrived at the hospital today (University College London), I was in good spirits and excited to finally get it over with. I knew I was going to opt for just the throat spray and no sedation, as I always feel like my best chance of getting through anything is mind power. 

After an hour's wait, I was led into the procedure room and prepared by two lovely nurses. The doctor sprayed the numbing stuff into my mouth (it kind of stung and tasted weird, but it didn't bother me). I was expecting to feel uncomfortable as my throat was numbed, but it wasn't bad at all. I could still sort of feel myself swallow. If you feel like you can't swallow and it weirds you out, just put your hand on your throat and feel yourself swallow from the outside. 

The nurses then inserted the mouth piece, and the doctor told me to close my eyes. I felt the endoscope go to the back of my throat. He told me to swallow, and next thing you know I felt it (very faintly) go down my throat. I could breathe normally, as the endoscope was a lot narrower than my esophagus (I had pictured it as being so big it would block the air!), and I could even swallow without choking. Swallowing had been my main concern, because I find it hard not to swallow for long periods. But I was able to breathe and swallow as normal. 

While the endoscope was in my stomach, I was comfortable enough - I could have lasted like that for another hour. A few minutes in, the doctor moved the endoscope into my duodenum, and this is when it felt a tiny bit sore for a few seconds. It was more like discomfort than pain. He took some biopsies, which didn't hurt at all, I just didn't like the general feeling of something in that part of my intestine. But that part was so short (20 seconds or so) and the doctor reassured me by saying the procedure was almost over. Next thing I know, he pulled it back into my stomach, then all the way back up my throat. The whole thing lasted about 5 minutes max, no gagging at all. I would do it again right away if I had to! I'm really glad I didn't opt for sedation, as being aware of how easy it was going is what kept me calm throughout. I was out of the hospital and on the bus home within 15min of being done. 

Here's to reassure you about some common fears people have:

Gagging and being sick: The throat spray will do a lot to stop gagging, but even if you do gag, remind yourself that it's okay. It doesn't feel nice, but you're not going to die or have permanent damage, and there's probably nothing in your stomach for you to vomit up. I've had plenty of nights vomiting continuously for 10 hours, thinking I was going to suffocate, bursting blood vessels in my face from the violent gagging. So, absolute worst case scenario, I'm sure you can manage a few minutes of that surrounded by nurses that are taking care of you. wink But you probably won't be near that bad! 

In preparation, I actually trained my gag reflex to be less sensitive. Touching your gag reflex over time will desensitise it. If gagging really has you worried, I suggest Googling instructions (sword swallowers do this, as do people who... ahem... deep throat). This could be especially useful if you're the kind of person who gags when they brush their teeth or swallow pills. Sensitivity should return when you stop "exercising" the reflex (it's not good to weaken it forever, as it's there to stop you from choking!). Making a fist with your left hand and squeezing your left thumb inside it is also said to suppress your gag reflex.

Not being able to breathe: Nothing to be afraid of here, there is plenty of space in your throat and nose to breathe. 

Not being able to swallow: I managed to swallow just fine throughout, but you may not even need to, as the nurses suck out excess saliva with one of those dentist tubes.

Pain: Many people experience no pain, others just a tiny bit of soreness or discomfort at points. But probably nothing worse than the symptoms that have led you to do this test.

Panicking: If you are vaguely comfortable with things going past your gag reflex (as I was after desensitising it), you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I could hardly feel the tube in my throat. Thank goodness for that spray stuff! And just keep telling yourself it's a very short, safe, painless procedure, and each second you bear is one second closer to it being over. In the lead up to test, read other people's good experiences, and focus on the positive of how glad you'll be to have finally done it.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer. If you're still really scared about having a gastroscopy, just remember, I was exactly like you a few months ago! And I managed to change my mindset to the point where I was laughing and joking with the nurses as they prepared me. smile

12 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well, I have just signed up simply to reply to you littlestpanda because I am awake still at 2am, unable to sleep with worry about my endoscopy appointment in the morning!

I have been reading and reading for months (which of course everyone tells you not to do) as my issues started 8 months ago and it has taken this long to end up with an appointment for the endoscopy.

I still have no idea what is causing my issues of terrible chest pain, left arm and leg pain plus severe swelling of my entire abdomen as well as a few other things.

What I must say though is, of all the posts I have read on any forum, yours certainly has been the most helpful.

It's as if you read my mind and gave me all of the answers I have been looking for.

I'm 31 and normally a very sensible, calm and rational person but for some reason I have been freaking out about having this done.

I'm very grateful that you took the time to post your experience - it has certainly helped me know what to expect!!

I will return once I've had mine done to let everyone know just how well it went smile

Now, time for some sleep....at last!

• Posted

I look forward to hearing how yours went. I will be getting this done soon myself.
    • Posted

Hi! So, my Endoscopy was on Tuesday. It's now Thursday and I am pleased to say it went well.

Sadly for me, they did not find the hiatus hernia or ulcer that I thought they were going to find and I now need more tests including ultrasound etc.

As for the Endoscopy itself, I was still extremely worried about it and did not particularly enjoy having it done BUT it was certainly not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

It was over and done with in about 5 minutes and all of the staff reassured me that they do this procedure all day everyday.

I could not feel my throat at all after it was sprayed and felt as though I could not swallow at all. When I felt my neck with my hand though, sure enough I was actually swallowing.

Gagging seems unavoidable as it is an automatic reaction of the body. As long as you haven't had anything to eat or drink though that morning, you will not bring anything up.

So in summary, you will probably gag and will not be able to feel your throat and you will probably also be anxious. Before you know it though it's over and you are resting for a little while before returning home.

I now know that if I ever need the procedure done again, I am in very good hands and it does not cause pain as I thought it would.

You will be fine and just try to remember to stay calm and relax as much as possible smile

• Posted

Hi littlestpanda! Thank you for this post. I am scheduled to have an endoscopy in about 2 weeks and super scared. I can't think or focus on anything else and just anxiously waiting, even losing sleep. I went to see the GI and informed her I want to do it without sedation but she told me she would only do it with sedation. I told her why I did not want sedation and that is because I'm scared of what the effects are going to be in my body. I didn't go into details like how my PCP heard heart murmurs in the past, and experiencing fast heart beat or irregular heart beat, low blood pressure, and atleast 20 lbs underweigth. I circled heart murmurs in the form that needs to be filled out before seeing her as part of my profile, so I assume she knows and I think they'll check BP, weight, etc. And she told me that she's done this to kids, and i'll be monitored but this does not put me at ease with doing the conscious sedation. I think I'll call their office and ask if it really is not an option to do it without sedation. I'm worried that if I push without sedation they'll be cold/brusque towards me since I'm going against what they want. I have read and heard some stories about gagging so bad that there's blood coming out and veins in the face are popping and stats getting low. Someone said I can ask for no sedation but have the IV inserted so they can administer the sedation when needed but I am not sure I wanna do that since they might administer it and say it's needed and might have a worse reaction while administering it in the middle of the procedure. In your experience with no sedation: 

1. Did your whole mouth, tongue, throat get numb? Did the chest area get numb too from swallowing the spray? 

2. If you're numb, how did you know you were swallowing? Can you feel that you were breathing? I had a dental procedure where my front upper gums were numb I couldn't tell if there was air comin out of my nose but I could tell I was breathing through my mouth. 

3. Did you have a hard time swallowing with the hose on your throat? I don't have a problem swallowing small pills but have a hard time swallowing big pills. 

I have worries for doing this with and without sedation but I am more scared of doing this with sedation. Sorry for the long post. I am just really worried. :'s

• Posted

Hi - I had my gastroscopy yesterday and to be honest I was not nervous about it and had already decided not to have sedation. I work in a hospital so I know that these procedures are being carried out on a daily basis by experienced operators so I had no fear.

Are you in the US or UK? Here in the UK you have a choice of whether or not to have sedation. Even if you decided to have sedation beforehand, when you arrive for the procedure, you are asked again and you can change your mind. 

Please do not take any heed of all the bad posts - in my experience, people tend to write when they feel things have been bad, but those with good experiences dont bother. 

My experience was excellent - just like littlestpanda who wrote the original post. The staff were great, they explained the procedure really well and I felt I was relaxed and compliant. I thought the staff may have been annoyed that I didnt want sedation, but to be honest they all agreed this was a good idea and were very positive about it. I think they have more challenges to deal with when people are sedated. Also I wanted to go and get on with the rest of my day - driving myself home straight after, I didnt want to have to wait around for hours and not be allowed to drive.

In answer to your three questions 

1.Only the back of your throat feels numb. The chest area didnt get numb. 

2. After they had sprayed and before the procedure I practiced swallowing and although you cant feel it, it has happened. The breathing thing was much easier than anticipated - the nurse had already explained that the tube is much smaller than your throat so there is plenty of room to breathe - and this was certainly the case - no problem breathing at all. Its not like the dental procedure you describe. 

3. I swallowed the tube easily - I did gag once on the way down and once later - but this is not a problem, gagging is not going to affect you or the procedure and its unlikely that you will gag very much if at all.

I recommend that you stop worrying, forget the procedure until the day - worryng will not help. And stop reading forums! Be brave and go in with a positive atitude. Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Actually, now I figured how to reply to you directly. Lol I made a reply for you but under littlestpanda's name
  • Posted

Hi bananafitz! Thank you for your reply! (I can't click on the link to reply to you) I just came back from my endoscopy but my worry is not over as I have to do colonoscopy too, not today but probably soon. The doc said I need to do GA for that but I I don't think I would.. But for now, I just want to say thank you and say I made it. Thank you! 
  • Posted

Hi all,

Iv just had a upper endoscopy done yesturday and i was terrified! luckly i had read alot of positive stories so it give me a push to not cancel and get it done. I had been suffering indigestion with lots of burping symptoms on and off and was on ppi tablets for 4 monthes but symptoms would creep back when took off so Dr wanted to check me out before prescribing anymore tablets etc so a routine gastroscopy was in order.

2 year previously i had a colonoscopy for ibs symptoms and omg was i scarred infact i broke down in the hospital and ran out before eventually going in and having the procedure done, but im so pleased i did as they found a polyp that was removed and benign luckly but leaving things for years on etc could have been a total different story as im only 33 but the experience itself was totally fine, the prep and worry of the unknown was the worst part.

so i new i had to be brave and get this done, nurses and drs were so nice and understanding i felt so much at ease with them but still so nervous! im a very anxious person so new sedation was the way for me but decided not to have the throat spray as i thought it would of freaked me out more not being able to feel my throat but now looking back wish i had of, my biggest fear was not being able to swallow the tube and gagging but once sedation took effect before i new it tube was down and i was gagging and belching badly..i just remember trying to swallow this weight in my throat but obviously with it being a tube it wasnt going anywere so that was very strange and not pleasent but having said all that it was over so quickly and my results were all normal so i was so relived and thankful.

If you a gagger like me and very nervous i would recommend sedation and throat spray.

Only a very small part of your time to get through but could improve you quality of life endless! good luck

• Posted

Hi folks smile

I thought I'd briefly share my experience of my Upper GI Endoscopy which I had this morning (12/06/15) without sedation.

I couldn't be sedated as I have a heart condition so throat spray was the only option.  It did have a numbing effect which helped, but I would advise mostly that you keep calm and focus on breathing.  Its a quick procedure and made easier by relaxing as much as possible.  It wasn't as awful as I'd read over and over online, and let's face it the procedure is to help you.  The Drs and nurses have your best interests at heart and we're lucky to be in a country where we can get in depth tests to diagnose health problems.

Please don't worry, its 10 minutes tops, not pleasant, but not terrible either.  Also, glad I didn't have sedation as people who went in hours before me, were still groggy and recovering in the day ward while I stepped out into the sunshine, feeling pleased I'd braved it.

Don't worry ~ breath ~ relax your body and you'll be just fine biggrin x

• Posted

Just had mine. 3 minutes. No sedation. I am NOT a brave individual just a mere mortal like the rest of us. Really just unpleasant nothing worse. Like you said, just breathe. In, out, in, out,..... until it's over.

:-)

• Posted

Bad news. I now learn I have to have a similar procedure for 30 minutes in a few weeks time so they can implant a pH measuring device.
    • Posted

I had my longer duration gastrostomy yesterday. Three passes in and out of the gullet rather than one. It was to implant a Bravo capsule.

More gagging but I just concentrated on breathing as soon as I could after each gag like a number of the kind people on here have said. I found it very difficult to swallow to help the device go south but my throat is fine now so no harm done.

I skipped the sedation again. I think the chap took about 10 minutes and I went home straight afterwards.

Not too bad. Fir ne it was definitely worth skipping the sedation.

Next step is diagnosis and then whether or not to have surgery....

• Posted

Hi glad your procedure was successful. Can you share what type of heart condition you have that caused you not be sedated. I have mitre valve prolapse which worries me as I am scheduled for endoscopy soon

Thanks

Helen

• Posted

Hi Helen,

My decision no to have sedation was not due to my hypertension. I wanted to be in control of my feelings. The enduring of just 4 minutes of mild discomfort and leaving the area without a lengthy wait with other sedated moaning patients was the high point of the day.

The worst part of my procedure was a nurse shoving my head in the pillow and saying " keep your head in the pillow". I was fine. The doctor was fine. She just wanted to feel useful.

It is true that fear is the enemy. Relax. the spray will stop any gagging. Swallow, dont spit. Really. as soon as he places the scope to the back of the tongue, say to yourself, here we go 4 minutes or even 2.5 minutes. Pretend they are looking for the diamond you swallowed. Make it positive. Pretend im right there beside you laughing at the nurse pushing your head in the pillow.

It is EASY.

Jack says no sedation. Spray me only.

• Posted

I prefer to do without sedation also. The last one didn't go so well. I wretched a lot more, but I will likely do it the same way if I must have another. I also had the colonoscopy without sedation, but I wouldn't recommend that to folks who don't mind sedation. It was painful, but not as bad as childbirth. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.