Upper endoscopy NO sedation: good experience! Some tips

Posted , 31 users are following.

I just thought I'd post my experience with my upper endoscopy/gastroscopy today, as I'd been putting it off for ages due to the awful stories I read online. I think people are more inclined to post their experience if it's an unsually traumatic one, so I'd like to add another good story to balance it out! 

Background: I'm a 26 year old female. It was about a year ago that my GP pushed for a gastroscopy, but after doing my research, I refused. Even the thought of it made my heart skip a beat. I was in the hospital once for an ultrasound and walked by the endoscopy unit... I remember thinking, no way am I ever going in there! Then this year I suffered a few bad bouts of vomiting, and my GP again encouraged me to have a gastroscopy. By then I was so sick that I just wanted to do whatever I could to help myself. 

So, in preparation, I read as many encouraging experiences as I could. By the time I arrived at the hospital today (University College London), I was in good spirits and excited to finally get it over with. I knew I was going to opt for just the throat spray and no sedation, as I always feel like my best chance of getting through anything is mind power. 

After an hour's wait, I was led into the procedure room and prepared by two lovely nurses. The doctor sprayed the numbing stuff into my mouth (it kind of stung and tasted weird, but it didn't bother me). I was expecting to feel uncomfortable as my throat was numbed, but it wasn't bad at all. I could still sort of feel myself swallow. If you feel like you can't swallow and it weirds you out, just put your hand on your throat and feel yourself swallow from the outside. 

The nurses then inserted the mouth piece, and the doctor told me to close my eyes. I felt the endoscope go to the back of my throat. He told me to swallow, and next thing you know I felt it (very faintly) go down my throat. I could breathe normally, as the endoscope was a lot narrower than my esophagus (I had pictured it as being so big it would block the air!), and I could even swallow without choking. Swallowing had been my main concern, because I find it hard not to swallow for long periods. But I was able to breathe and swallow as normal. 

While the endoscope was in my stomach, I was comfortable enough - I could have lasted like that for another hour. A few minutes in, the doctor moved the endoscope into my duodenum, and this is when it felt a tiny bit sore for a few seconds. It was more like discomfort than pain. He took some biopsies, which didn't hurt at all, I just didn't like the general feeling of something in that part of my intestine. But that part was so short (20 seconds or so) and the doctor reassured me by saying the procedure was almost over. Next thing I know, he pulled it back into my stomach, then all the way back up my throat. The whole thing lasted about 5 minutes max, no gagging at all. I would do it again right away if I had to! I'm really glad I didn't opt for sedation, as being aware of how easy it was going is what kept me calm throughout. I was out of the hospital and on the bus home within 15min of being done. 

Here's to reassure you about some common fears people have:

Gagging and being sick: The throat spray will do a lot to stop gagging, but even if you do gag, remind yourself that it's okay. It doesn't feel nice, but you're not going to die or have permanent damage, and there's probably nothing in your stomach for you to vomit up. I've had plenty of nights vomiting continuously for 10 hours, thinking I was going to suffocate, bursting blood vessels in my face from the violent gagging. So, absolute worst case scenario, I'm sure you can manage a few minutes of that surrounded by nurses that are taking care of you. wink But you probably won't be near that bad! 

In preparation, I actually trained my gag reflex to be less sensitive. Touching your gag reflex over time will desensitise it. If gagging really has you worried, I suggest Googling instructions (sword swallowers do this, as do people who... ahem... deep throat). This could be especially useful if you're the kind of person who gags when they brush their teeth or swallow pills. Sensitivity should return when you stop "exercising" the reflex (it's not good to weaken it forever, as it's there to stop you from choking!). Making a fist with your left hand and squeezing your left thumb inside it is also said to suppress your gag reflex.

Not being able to breathe: Nothing to be afraid of here, there is plenty of space in your throat and nose to breathe. 

Not being able to swallow: I managed to swallow just fine throughout, but you may not even need to, as the nurses suck out excess saliva with one of those dentist tubes.

Pain: Many people experience no pain, others just a tiny bit of soreness or discomfort at points. But probably nothing worse than the symptoms that have led you to do this test.

Panicking: If you are vaguely comfortable with things going past your gag reflex (as I was after desensitising it), you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I could hardly feel the tube in my throat. Thank goodness for that spray stuff! And just keep telling yourself it's a very short, safe, painless procedure, and each second you bear is one second closer to it being over. In the lead up to test, read other people's good experiences, and focus on the positive of how glad you'll be to have finally done it.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer. If you're still really scared about having a gastroscopy, just remember, I was exactly like you a few months ago! And I managed to change my mindset to the point where I was laughing and joking with the nurses as they prepared me. smile

12 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey, littlestpanda!

I had an unsedated endoscopy as well (this morning) and wanted to share my great experience as well, to encourage others to give it a try!

I am pretty intolerant of pain and discomfort but I was determined to at least try this procedure without sedation because I was on break from school and really wanted the full day to get things done.  I’m a 27 year old woman and generally healthy.  As a summary, it was no big deal and if you are determined to do it, I think you’ll be fine.

The scope is about as large as a woman’s pinky finger and has a light and camera on the end.  The doctor sprayed my throat (that was nasty but fine – I coughed a little). No other numbing or anything.  He placed a plastic brace that I bit down on and kept my mouth open.  I was also given a medicine cup full of stuff like gas-ex to prep the stomach and it tasted like old gum – no big deal.

The doc talked me through everything he would do and I asked a couple questions.  They had placed an IV in my arm and the anethestist was there in the room if at any point I gave them the “thumbs down” signal to say I wanted to start sedation.  It was very nice and comforting to have that option, and I highly recommend that.  You cannot talk with the thing in your mouth so decide before hand how to communicate (I did a thumbs up to say I’m doing fine and decided on a thumbs down if I wanted sedation).

The endoscopy instrument (a long black tube) was scary to be honest because I didn’t realize it was so thick, but it was really just fine. I think the key for me was that I knew most of what to expect by reading these kinds of comments from people.  Another thing, if you have time and want to, I would just a tiny bit of research about the throat, esophagus, and stomach so you basically know what anatomy he’ll be going through with the scope instrument. 

I’ll be honest with you, I wretched, coughed, gagged, and burped but also to be completely honest, it was just fine. Uncomfortable, sure, but TOTALLY worth having the entire day free to do whatever I wanted.  I also REALLY enjoyed being able to talked intelligently with the doctor and staff and to hear my results right away and ask questions.  I strolled right out of there, walking, and my husband and I went shopping.  The whole procedure took maybe 5-6 minutes and I would totally do it again, no question.  

Hope this is helpful to all who are considering it!

• Posted

Just keep thinking that its another step to resolving your issue. For me it wasn't a pleasant procedure and I would be a liar to say otherwise but its something I had to go through. I have since had a CTScan and am now awaiting the results.

Take comfort from knowing that the person doing the test is there to help you and they will proceed at your pace and comfort you when it is needed.

So just keep thinking it needs to be done and try not to worry. My main worry was having to walk about in public with the tube up my nose which was silly as most people are to busy with their own lives to even notice you passing by. Good luck Ted

• Posted

Can I refuse sedation the day I have to get it done
    • Posted

Yes you can as it will be less time consuming for those carrying out the procedure. I had it done without sedation and my wife has had it done twice without sedation as well so don't worry you will be fine.
  • Posted

I had got myself really scared about having this procedure, especially after I had a sigmoidoscopy a year ago and found it so awful they couldn't complete it. This was the same hospital, same unit.

I had decided to opt for sedation. I got myself so anxious my veins would not cooperate! After 3 failed attempts to insert the cannula (not as bad as it sounds) the doctor asked me what I would like to do, options being he had one more try, or they could get a special team who used ultrasound to insert the cannula. At no point was I made to feel I had to hurry or that I was being a difficult patient.

I decided then to be brave and have the spray instead. The nurse by my head reminded me all the time to keep breathing, she was wonderful. I did not gag once, I didn't have to swallow the tube, it just goes down easily. The throat spray was a bit weird but really no big deal, I did not feel any pain or panic. Plus I had no restrictions on activities for the next day as I would have had with session.

I absolutely recommend the spray, just expect it to be a bit weird, and bathe as they tell you to. smile

• Posted

Sorry can't find out how to edit my post. There is the word 'session' which should read 'sedation'. Then later 'bathe' should be ' breathe' !! Predictive text....
  • Posted

Hello there, i know you wrote this over a year ago but i just want to thank you for such an in depth and reasurring detail of your procedure. My third endoscopy is next week but my first too were with sedation .. this one is just the spray!

I feel more reassured :-)

• Posted

Thank you sooo much for this post. I have been waiting for an endoscopy for 6 months and have been dreading it. I get anxiety but feel I'd get more anxiety worried about sedation so want to try and not get sedated. I am soo scared about how big the tube is and how the heck it's going to go down my throat!

I know atleast 10 people who've had it done and the only ones that said it was ok were two of them and they were sedated!

So happy to finally hear from someone whose had a good experience that's not scary!

I'm going to hold on to this. Thanks so much.

My endoscopy is next Wednesday and also at ucl- I can't sleep at night worrying about it but perhaps tonight I'll sleep a bit better thanks to your post. smile

• Posted

Hi i can t understand what can i do  To train my gag reflex...please,help me 
  • Posted

Hi i can t understand what can i do  To train my gag reflex...please,help me 
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

just back from St Margarets Hospital Dunfermline having had a Gastroscopy with throat spray, no sedation. Including  2 biopsies the whole procedure took 4 minutes. The spray wore off after 30 minutes and I was eating a whopper within the hour.

It was an uncomfortable, slightly panicky experience. The scope was easy to swallow but intrusive. It thumped about in the stomach and painful into the duodenum. 

The important thing to remember is 4 minutes. Breath good long breaths. Pretend you are being assimilated by the Borg. Anything to keep your mind off the procedure. My tummy is a little achey but its done and Im happy.

Jack

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.