Upper endoscopy sore throat

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

I had an upper endoscopy done on Thursday (3 days ago) because of GERD & my throat is hurting pretty bad. I would best explain it as almost like when you have strep throat and its painful to swallow almost like it is raw. I can eat and drink, it is just uncomfortable to do so. I was wondering if anyone ever experienced it for this long as well. I did have biopsies taken, and a part of it stretched via balloon further down. I have read mixed reviews, where some people said they have no pain at all (lucky) then people who had it for a week plus. So is this normal, and will it get better, I just want to be able to eat and swallow pain free again.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I was one of the lucky " no pain" patients but we all vary so much in almost every way that perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that it's not like that for everyone. Some of us probably have more delicate membranes than others perhaps. Also operators will vary in their skill as I found when I had to have plugs removed from my nose after a bleed and cauterising. One doctor made me yell; the second I barely felt.

I'd certainly report to your GP if it goes on much longer.

Hope you feel more comfortable soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.