Upper Endoscopy Without Sedation

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience of having an endoscopy without sedation yesterday (I'm from the US where sedation is highly pushed on you).  Hopefully, this will allow others to not be afraid!

I am a 26 year old male who lives in California.  Relatively healthy, though I'm a bit overweight (6'2 and 219 pounds).  Went to the office with symptoms of severe upper back pain, chest pain, and swallowing pain/troubles - with the thought that maybe I had progessively bad GERD.  Luckily, post procedure, I was found to have probably just had a bout of stress related reflux.  Otherwise, I look perfect with no issues in my esophagus (thank God!).  For now I am waiting a few months for the biopsy of my stomach (potentially have mild gastritis).

Now, onto the procedure:

I went to the office 30 minutes before my procedure and got my insurance/paperwork squared away.  After waiting 15 minutes, reading this great forum for advice smile, I was brought back and changed into a hospital gown.

Here in the states, we have GI clinics that can do the procedure as an outpatient visit, VERY cost-effective, but also kinda scary because you walk back realizing you aren't necessarily in a hospital setting if something goes wrong (i.e. I would need to be rushed across the street to the nearest hospital).

Once I was changed, I was informed that an IV would need to be inserted, even if I didn't want sedation (which everyone in the office thought I was a lunatic for).  I hate needles, so I would've preferred not doing this, but it is relatively easy for me to handle it if I just don't look.

After the IV is inserted you lay down for roughly ten minutes and wait your turn to be wheeled in.  I'm sure this varies depending on where you get the procedure done.

After being wheeled in, two nurses introduced themselves and asked me if I had any allergies to sedatives.  I informed them that I really didn't want to be sedated, they obliged, but did say they would sedate me if I couldn't handle the procedure.

One of the nurses said she has only had 2 people go through the procedure awake since she's worked there (and she's been there quite some time).  That was a near pants-staining statement smile.  Though in her defense she was super sweet and was just trying to joke with me (I think she thought that I was overconfident, when I was quite the opposite - I was just putting on a brave face).

I was very fortunate that I got the best doctor that works at the clinic, he has nearly 40 years of GI experience.  He is also the highest rated GI in the county I live in.  Seriously, this man is amazing.

With all of the being said, when he came in, I was asked to describe my symptoms. His eyes got really big, so I thought this was more serious than I thought it was.  He said, we'd get to the bottom of it literally, in about 10 minutes.

I then told him that I was foregoing sedation and he said that he wouldn't recommend it, but that he will watch me closely.  If my heartbeat got to hight, I vomitted, or starting moving during the procudure, the nurse would instantly sedate me to protect my inner organs.

The female nurse then used the throat spray 2 times to really hold back my gag reflex and to make sure both sides were thoroughly covered to keep any pain from cropping up and so that they could get the thing in my throat without me vomiting.

Then, the male nurse came over and said I am going to hold you down and keep you from moving.  That got the heart going a bit.

Before I knew it the GI DR had the endoscope in hand and started feeding it down my throat.  I swallowed, gagged, and away he went.  I gagged multiple times throughout the procedure, but felt zero pain.  The nurses were super supportive and gave me time updates and let me know where they were and that my insides looked excellent.  Truly, I had the best team there making sure the procedure was going well and that I was OK.

They took a few biopsies, which I never felt, and then started feeding the camera back out.  For some reason, this was the worst part.  I started gagging hard and my hear beat started racing.  They got the scope out and I was reminded to think positively and that you made it through the procedure!  The male nurse was so funny, he told me to think of my favorite beach to relax me smile

Before I knew it, I was sitting up, IV taken out, and I was told the good news.

The female nurse came out and shook my hand and told me that I was awfully brave and handled it really well.  She was an absolute sweetheart about the whole thing, and I don't think I could have done the procedure without them.

So, in short, about 10 minutes of your time, versus being sedated and losing a whole day.  Plus, you get to know your results sooner and you don't look/feel awful.  Everyone I saw who was sedated seemed so out of it.

Glad I could handle it and I hope more folks consider this as a viable option!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I'd write to let anyone who is considering this how my experienced went.  

I was somewhat worried when the dr. suggested I have this procedure done, but I was determined to do it without sedation.  

I was scheduled an appointment for pain in the stomach which had been going on for some time.   There was concern it may have been an ulcer.  

Today was my appointment.  I read that some people were given an option for a throat spay.  I asked but they said they don't do that there. The nurses strongly recommended that I take the sedation and doctor stopped in later saying the same.  Not to scare anyone but he said he had been doing the procedure for 20 years without a successful sedation-less outcome.  He said it was the sedation reduces the gag reflex and if there's gagging it's hard to get a clear picture.  I told hime I'd like to try it anyway.  The scheduling person said that if I couldn't handle it I would have to pay for the procedure regardless.  They decided there was no need for an IV and wheeled me back on the gurney.  I rolled over to the side and they put a plastic piece that had a hole in the middle that went in my mouth.  The had some leads on my to get vitals the whole time.  The doctor put the scope in and initially it was somewhat uncomfortable.  I could feel it wiggling around going down to my stomach.  It seemed like it was in for several minutes.  There was a bit of gagging and drooling.  If you do this you need to focus on breathing out of your nose - it is possible to get air around the scope and I did take a few breaths through the mouth, but I'd suggest focusing on breathing through the nose.  The doctor told the nurses he was doing a couple biopsies and I could see him slipping something that runs inside the scope - probably from a slot inside of it.  The was no pain at all with the biopsy.  If you're fairly strong-willed then you can do this.  It's not that painful, more uncomfortable than anything.  The anticipation for days was worse than the procedure.  There is a bit of wrenching and I was belching a lot because apparently they shoot air into your stomach through the scope and it comes right back up. The do that so they get a better view I guess.  When I was done the doctor gave my results right away (reflux was all).  The biopsy results take longer though.  I would do it without the sedation again if I am scheduled another.  I also get my dental work done without novocaine and it's a similar experience.  When it's over you're on your way.  Today though I did feel a little queasy in the legs which may have been due to nerves.  My esophagus feels a bit tender even still 2 hours later.  That won't keep me from eating.  Good luck to anyone who decides to do it.

• Posted

Hello brian80829, thanks for sharing. Was your procedure done in California?
  • Posted

I had it done at Ohio Gastroenterology Group in Columbus.
  • Posted

I requested to have and endo and colon without sedation and the medical folks we in an uprise. Conversations between the office, testing location, the nurse of the doctor, the doctor and my doctor, resulted in my phone ringing. They stated, they do not do endos without sedation, due to possible aspiration. After pushed back, they are ALL discussing possible alternative testing options. I never thought it would be such a huge deal.
    • Posted

Everyone was a bit shocked when I did mine without sedation.  The worst part for me was the bill that I got - $1500 for something that took at few minutes - sheesh.

I'm getting close to that age that I'll need the colonoscopy - the nurses said that is easier without sedation - so it should be a walk in the park since the endo wasn't that bad.

• Posted

I had both procedures done today. It was constent, are you sure you don't wany sedation? I told one nurse, you are not going to change my mind. They sent anesthesia in and i told him, no. He wanted to at least put a port in, I said no. We can't administer pain meds, fentinal(sp)- an opiod, for pain. I told him, i didnt anticipate on pain meds to begin with. I felt like, I needed to be my own advocate and stick with my plan and make sure I was not persuaded.

I found out, at this point the cost so far, for me to take the tests starts at $500 with insurance (hooray-no national heath insurance in the states). I can only imagine my overall put of pocket cost, if I received anesthesia, as well. I will wait and see the overall cost.

As for the procedures, if you are faint of heart, get the sedation. You can feel everything and for the endo the throat spray (make sure it is liberally sprayed and let it sit in your mouth for a while, then slowly swallow), and the short timeframe helped, physically and mentally. The nurses and doctors could not believe I was so calm. I watched, asked questions and even joked with the nurses and md. What also helped was reading others experiences on nonsedations and applied what worked for them.

Ultimately, not being drugged up was everything! I like that I could walk out of the hospital, on my own, and drive home meant everything to me. I would do both again without sedation in a heartbeat.

• Posted

I just had an endoscopy this a.m. with no sedation. Mainly because i didnt want my wife to have to take a day off work as a teacher its a big deal and i didnt want to miss work either. It really wasnt a big deal. Ive probably had the procedure 3 or 4 times in the past but always with a colonoscopy at the same time so i had always had sedation. They gave me a gel to gargle and swallow before they began. I helped and i had little to no pain other than some gaging as the tube was moved up or down a bit. I was instructed not to swallow this was easier said than none. I did a couple of times i just couldnt help it. The procedure didnt take but a few minutes and the Dr and nurses were great about encouraging and letting me know what was going on and how much longer it was going to take. I will do it this way in the future. I was back at work in less than an hr.

• Posted

I suffer from multiple chemical allergies and a large percentage of drugs triggers neuritic, or pins and needles, pain throughout my body. I also have some brain damage and am afraid of introducing chemicals into my body when not necessary. That being said, I am concerned about a tumor possibly growing in my throat because of localized pain there and difficulty swallowing, so I am scheduled for an endoscopy. I would prefer skipping the sedation altogether, but it remains to be seen whether or not I can handle it. Thank you for all your information regarding the procedure. If it turns out to be cancer, I don't know what I will do because my system won't be able to handle things like chemotherapy or surgery. Wish me luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.