Upper Endoscopy WITHOUT sedation UK

Posted , 4 users are following.

Today I had a endoscopy done without sedation- after reading online weather to get sedated or not it was a 50/50 choice for me as I was in two minds and after deciding what I wanted to do I decided in my head I didn’t want to be sedated.reason being is I wanted to be fully aware of what was going on and didn’t want to feel slouchy afterwards.  

My experience was absolutely fine, the nurses are really reassuring the only thing that is a bit scary is when it gets to your throat and you have to swallow for the endoscope to go down but once you swallow you can’t feel a thing

The procedure for me lasted 12minutes, all I can say is concentrate on your breathing and you will absolutely be fine.

if you want to ask me anything more about my procedure , please ask,  

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I’m booked in for Friday and I’m petrified. I have an anxiety disorder and agoraphobia so I opted for the sedation. Hoping that I’ll fall asleep during it to be honest 😂

• Posted

Ahhh you will be fine honestly - I know reading peoples reviews can be scary but trust me it will be fine, the worst bit is the fear of just thinking about it but when your there you will be okay! 10 minutes of your time an you will be out of there
    • Posted

I had mine yesterday. Like you I have high anxiety. Had to wait till end of day and had a migraine and felt awful. I had sedation and throat spray. I lay very still and honestly did not feel any of the procedure. I dont remember gagging or any discomfort. Before I knew it it was over. It was a breeze all that worry for nothing. Don't read bad stories on the internet. You will be fine.

• Posted

Thank you. It’s just the one procedure I told him I refused to have. Then suddenly I had to have it and he had agreed with me I shouldn’t have it because I have emetophobia. I think once it’s done I’ll be fine. How long does it take for the sedation to wear off? Have you have any bad pains or sore throat or anything? Someone told me on my thread about a Iv drip. Scared of needles too I just thought they would inject me with a sedative 
    • Posted

Most of what I read on here (spent 2 hours reading stories) were good outcomes. My 2 aunties have had it, my bfs dad has had it, they all said they were fine. Then a friend of mine told me her experience and said the sedation didn’t even work and it was a horrible experience. Ah well hopefully be outta there by 12:30pm on Friday (stretching it a bit as my appointment is at 12 lol) 
    • Posted

I didn’t have sedation, I done it without an it was fine so if you’ve opted to get sedated then you’ll feel really comfortable an relaxed an it will be a breeze for you - just try not to worry to much, thinking about it is the worst part. Only side effect I had was a little stomach ache but literally was nothing, other then that I was perfectly fine! Good luck for Friday smile
    • Posted

The reason I’m going is coz of a stomach ache everytime I eat and can’t eat different things 
    • Posted

I had my procedure 6.30 pm Monday. Felt really out of it that evening and rested the next day. Feel better today Wednesday still a bit tierd though. Very small sore throat and a bit of a stomach ache. My arms a bit achy today, I think the nurses hold you steady. But no bad after effects at all. They put the sedative in a thing placed on your hand not directly into you. Just shut your eyes. Its over so fast just keep breathing. Honestly I have been in a state for weeks the worst part is the worrying about it.
    • Posted

Ahhh I suffered from difficult swallowing to the point I could only swallow liquids and the result ended up being ‘ gastritis ‘ which is inflammation in the stomach
    • Posted

I hope to be able to get the medication have it work straight off and be able to eat things I loved like a Big Mac, even a Sunday dinner! 
    • Posted

Hey! Just poking around and looking for experiences. Ive suffered with nausea and what I would describe as "trouble swallowing" for the past month or so. Just got bloodwork, have an abdominal ultrasound scheduled for next week, and my doctor just mentioned the dreaded word "endoscopy" if we find nothing and I am not feeling better.

I was thinking maybe gastritis. What did they end up doing to treat you? Are you feeling better? These stomach problems are the worst! 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.