Upper GI

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've never had an endoscope done although I am in my late 50s. I have a case of conspitation and bloating after I eat but I just figure that's from acid reflux so I never bothered to get one done. I also have a history of colon polyps but that's about it. Is an Upper GI something that should be done? I am a bit afraid to have it done since I don't know what it's like. Is there a dreadful prep like a colonoscopy or do we just have to fast for it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you visit the Barrett's Wessex website (www BarrettsWessex org uk) , you'll find "Patients' Experiences" where some have described their experience of endoscopy specifically to tell those who have never had the procedure, what to expect.

(Scroll down the home page to find it. )

• Posted

Hi Branden,

Firstly, no - there's no special prep for gastroscopy, just fasting.

Secondly, why are you so keen to get this done? As someone else said on these boards very recently, it tends to be an over-prescribed examination.

I've had symptoms of what my GP says is almost certainly acid reflux for 40 years now, and have learned to manage them. I did have a gastroscopy 4 years ago, but that was in an emergency situation and they didn't go any further down than the entrance to my oesophagus. (I'd swallowed my denture, no one believed me so they did a gastroscopy to "reassure" me it wasn't there - and it was, of course!) I've never had a gastroscopy for my reflux symptoms.

Instead, I've learned to manage them. I find the most important thing is to identify dietary triggers. Work out which foods/drinks set off the symptoms, and more importantly, what you can risk eating or drinking late in the evening. I discovered early on that bread is my main trigger, so I eat very little of it, and never in the evening. Certain fruits - notably cherries - will do it for me too. We all have different metabolisms, so we're likely to have different triggers.

I've also learned to sleep with the head of my mattress slightly raised. Since I did that I hardly ever have an attack.

Interesting that you mention constipation. I try to avoid getting constipated at all costs, as this also causes acid reflux in me. Ditto wearing my trousers too tight - comical as that may sound!

By all means ask your doctor for a gastroscopy if you want one. At your age they're bound to find some minor condition for which they'll prescribe lifelong medication. In case someone in here starts screaming in protest, I'm not telling you not to have a gastroscopy. I'm just saying that you can avoid it if you want to by taking responsibility for your own health.

• Posted

Hello Lily,

Appreciate the reply once again. Well I do have a history and I've also had a barium swallow test done because I had symptoms of aspiration. The barium swallow was only for the esophagus which didn't find anything except bone spurs that was pushing inside the back of my neck that made it 20% narrower but the doc said it most likely wasn't related to my coughs so I figured having a gastroscopy wouldn't be a bad idea. Although I figure the coughs might have been because I recently quit smoking. Glad to hear there are no preps as the colonoscopy prep was awful.

I do try to manage my diet. Most recently the bigger issues, I am 3 months being a non-smoker as well as cut down on my alcohol intake. Increasing fiber would be a good idea like you mentioned, probably one of the things I haven't done so far. Conspitation with frequent bloating makes me wonder if I may have any other related conditions. (Recently just had a colonoscopy done as you know, I just didn't choose to have the Upper GI done at the same time). Being my age I figured it'd be better to be safe than to be sorry as I heard many of stomach-related diseases are only symptomatic at it's later stages.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.