Upper GI but no biopsy noted on report for esphogitis ??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

had the upper Gi last Week, Prior to that, I was convinced I had cancer of the gullett-- food getting stuck, low iron levels, etc.The report given to me states

Site A

Grade A Oesophagitis with mucosal breaks - 5mm

Hiatus hernia – sliding.

Site B

Gastritis – mild erythematous / exudative – no bleeding

Specimens: Urease test for H Pylori ( CLO test)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The written report mentions no biopsies taken of the gullet, only Grade A Oesophagitis is mentioned, I don’t recall him taking any biopsies here as I think I would have felt it. The only one I felt was in the stomach for the H Pylori. i have been told to go to GP in 5 days to see if I have this infection. The Gastroloogist who did the scope has not asked me to see him again.

if he saw something of real concern in the gullet, would he have told me or surely something would have been noted on the report, pending further analysis but no mention of any biopsies / concerns here. But apart from the H Pylori test, Im expecting nothing unless they are hiding bad news.

I should be more trusting of the profession but it has been difficult lately. All he said was the Gullett looked reassuring !!!!> Still the scope was hassle free.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

relax, you were told the gullet looks reassuring, which really should be, well, reasurring
  • Posted

Hi. I have just had an op for a Hiatus Hernia and severe acid reflux.....Nissen Fundoplication....Google it. Also had severe Oesophogitis and the acid had burned my vocal chords too. The damage was so bad that I had bleeding sporadically in the gullet. I also had H Pylori but that was 14 yrs ago and was cured with one humungous dose of anti-biotics.

I don't think you would have been told anything except by your Dr.

My advice.......listen to the Dr and go for the repair to the Hernia. I am 2 weeks post op and feeling  great. Can eat almost normally and no issues at all. They do say that I am the exception as more than 90% of people have hassles for 6 weeks and more. Still, it depends on you and how good the Dr is.

Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.