Upper inner eyelid irritation when closing left eye

Posted , 5 users are following.

When I go to sleep and try to close my left eye I feel a strange irritating sensation. I tried using an eye wash to relieve it but it hasn't done anything. I can suspect it's dry eye but I'm not sure. I've had this before but it comes and goes. I went to an eye doctor before with this issue and he said that nothing was wrong with my eye....It gets better usually after a few days but it's very annoying/painful to sleep with this. What should I do?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Do  you put in eye drops before going to sleep? That can help if it's dry eye.

• Posted

No ,what eye drops do you recommend? I have an eye wash that comes with a cup that fits my eye so I can throughly clean it. But if eye drops are better then I'll go with that.

• Posted

No ,what eye drops do you recommend? I have an eye wash that comes with a cup that fits my eye so I can throughly clean it. But if eye drops are better then I'll go with that.

• Posted

Could be a tiny lump on your upper eyelid caused by a blocked meibomian gland. They can feel like something is in your eye.  This usually means you are on the way to dry eye. Do you clean your lids with anything on a daily basis to stop these forming?  You could try dipping a cotton bud/Qtip in Vaseline and gently rubbing along the flat part of the lid just before sleep. It may help to get rid of the lump and provide some lubrication overnight.
  • Posted

Best to see an ophthalmologist.  A friend had similar discomfort in one of her eyelids and it turned out to be a corneal ulcer that can cause loss of vision / blindness.
  • Posted

Hi..I had same problem..do not put eye cream on your eyes at night...dab your eyes with warm water..then dab dry...use the saliva from your mouth. and put it all over your eyelashes, with a clean finger...inside and out...this worked for me...noticed a difference after a couple of days...xx
  • Posted

Lorenzo.....do stop using that eyewash. If you are beginning to get dry eye it will make the feeling worse. Get some Hypromellose drops [also called Artificial tears] . You can buy them from most chemists/pharmacies. Use them at night and also during the day.  If it is a blocked gland then do try my suggestion of a qtip/cotton bud dipped in Vaseline and worked along the edge of the eyelid.  

As Jantje has suggested it could also be a corneal ulcer, and if the eye drops and QTip dont work then you could try booking an appointment with an optician who can take a good look at your eyes. When you say "eye doctor"..do you mean an Opthalmologist or an optician?. 

• Posted

It was an optician, I wouldn't say that it's a corneal ulcer. It's more of an irritating feeling rather than being painful. My eyes aren't red and there is nothing that can visually tell me that it's an ulcer. ( I'm still going to an opthalmologist though )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.