Upper left rib pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just wondering I anyone has any ideas, I have had upper rib pain for about 4 weeks, I have recently been treated for a Uti which caused me to have 3 visits to hospital, I had bloods and urine samples taken which came back with the urine test showing white cells. The pain comes into my ribs with a stabbing pain which is there now and again not constant. I have had examinations with  doctors and was reassured it was nothing to do with my spleen, it feels like more of a discomfort than pain, it does spread into my back on the left side but I do occasionally get it in my right rib and back. I was treated with 2 antibiotics and I am waiting for an ultrasound of my abdomen and kidneys just wondered if anyone had any ideas? Thanks 😊

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

Your pain sounds a lot like mine but mine started under my right rib and wrapped around then went to my left and wrapped around. My doc diagnosed me with gastritis. I was really tender on my right side and she did a liver exam and said it felt fine. I also have had blood tests done as well as liver and kidney function tests, X-rays of my upper back and chest, I even asked for a test of my pancreas because I couldn't stop worrying (I'm 26 lol), a d dimer and a urinalysis. All which have came back normal. Currently I'm waiting on my results from my abdominal ultrasound. I also just got done taking Keflex for a UTI. I wish you the best and hope you get some answers soon! 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I was on 2 difffernt antibiotics one didn't work then the other did, I did another urine sample this week and it has come back clear , I was told the pain could be muscular aswell. I asked them to check twice with my liver and spleen as I worry a lot too (I'm only 23) and it was all fine, I'm hoping to get my ultrasound appointment through soon was your pain gradual and on and off? Thanks 

• Posted

What antibiotic did you start with? I started with cipro and then had to start the keflex for 3 days. Had to take it 4 times a day, yuck. My pain is on and off. I remember one night the right side of my back under my rib started hurting, like a real bad squeezing pain. I couldn't lay on my back because it was uncomfortable. That lasted for about 20 minutes then went away. Lately I haven't been feeling it as much though. I've been on Zantac so maybe that's helping? I also have acid reflux, so that's fun LOL. I hope you get your appointment soon! Worrying is such a terrible thing. Seems to make everything worse and consume your life. That's how mine is anyways. 

• Posted

I stared on trimethoprim but after 3 days wasn't feeling any better then had to take cipro which cleared it up after 7 days, they thought it might be kidney stones but without having the symptoms for that they ruled it out. But when I went to discuss the ultrasound said to ask then to check for kidney stones? Plus also to check for gall stones. Worrying makes the whole thing a lot worse! I do also get acid reflex which seems to clear after an antacid. 

• Posted

Well I hope you get some answers after your ultrasound! 
    • Posted

Hi had my ultrasound everyday was fine, but they found something in my womb, had to have an transvaginal ultrasound where they have found multiple cysts still have a urine infection which has already had 3 lots of antibiotics and waiting for an urgent gynaecologist referral to see if the cysts need removing or to leave them 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.