Upper left side back pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

My upper mid left side has been feeling a dull like pain. It started about a week ago when I woke up. I assumed I just slept wrong because my neck was also kinked up that morning too. The next day my neck pain was just about gone, but my upper mid left side didn't get better. So I decided I maybe just pulled a muscle or slept on it wrong again as I do sleep in weird back positions sometimes. At one point it got progressively worse for a good two days until I put an electric pulse massager on it and it felt better right after. It practically went away. It went away or at least 90% away every time I used it. 

Now, it does not pain at all. Only pain was two days out of the week I've been dealing with this.  The only time I feel even a slight pain (which honestly isn't painful), it's when I stretch leaning to the left side and or if I bend over to touch my toes to stretch. I thought it was my kidney at first, but I feel like the feeling is too high up on my left side to be my kidney and nothing abnormal has given me any other indication that it would be. 

Should I go to a chiropractor or wait a little longer? I'm not aware of how long a pulled muscle takes to heal. I've also contemplated on getting a new bed possibly as I've had this one for about 5-6 years. Just looking for some opinions!

?Thanks! 

(I'm a 20 year old male)

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Consider X-ray of your spine along the upper neck area. If it not a disc issue then PT can help with strengthening muscles and tendons that could be a strain in some way. I sleep with a neck support to avoid the issues of a disc issue in my neck. Cervical disc disease. 

• Posted

Just one quick question, is it possible that you are constipated? Typically if you are, it will show up on the left side, but not up high. You could be letting out some which would give you a little relief and then build up quickly again. This is a difficult conversation to have, but I am unfortunately an expert in the field.

Otherwise I would recemmend using hot or cold on it rather then the massager. and some ibuprofen too to help with inflamation. If it is muscular that will help heal it much quicker.

• Posted

Hi Gumby Just seen your posting.How are you now. Neck pain can manifest itself  in the way you decribe.

• Posted

I think that you should get a new bed . Find a good one that is designed for for seething to up yor comfort zone. I have a sleep by numbers air mattress it also moe head and feet up and down . There are many on the market . It's like buying a new car for tiring each mattress laying down adjusting and decisions. Price and delivery. It's like most have a 30 day trial period that helps too! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.