Upper right quadrant pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone could help, I've never posted on a discussion before but i need some guidance.

I have had 2 hospital admissions of upper right quadrant pain, a stabbing pain which is really extreme, the pain travels into my back. I have had X-rays and 2 ultrasounds which show nothing and my bloods are normal.

All healthcare professionals thought I was dealing with gallballder issues but say not now due to the ultrasounds, the pain continues and is extreme and when not having episodes is a dull ache, I have nausea and hot flushes and feeling woozy a lot with 2 fainting episodes.

I feel no one is taking me seriously, I've been discharged both times from hospital and told that 50% of admissions get no answers! Or I'm told I could have IBS which I am 100% sure is not the case.

I have had a private appointment with a consultant which was a waste of time, he has advised a CT scan which I am waiting an appointment for and I am on the list to see the NHS consultant but I don't hold out any hope. I'm presently on 40mgs of omaperazole daily I don't find it helps


Does this sound familiar to anyone?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Ask about a hiata scan for gall bladder problems.
    • Posted

      Thank you, I just feel that they are not keen to do anything and I have to constantly beg or go privately for any tests but my work health cover is very limited.

      I will look into the Scan thank you

  • Posted

    It really sounds like gallbladder, sometimes the stone is in the duct of the gallbladder. I was sent home several times then had to have emergency surgery.
    • Posted

      Thank you for your help, I hope your recovery from surgery went well
  • Posted

    Hi Sharon,

    ?I have experienced same like symtoms all except my pain is predominantly upper left quadrant..although it can change to the right

    ?I have been on Omaperazol/Lanperazol/emperazol/rinidine all to no avail and unfortunatley have now left me with acid reflux/silent

    I am under a NHS consultant and also seen 2 private?, ?1st total wast of time and insisted I do not have acid reflux and advised me to see a dietician.

      The 2nd has referred me back to the NHS GI for a PH Manometry test and will review the CT scan to see if there are any stones in the ducts as apparently this is  frequently missed when the CT scan is first reviewed, but I really do not think it is my gallblader..

    ?Not a lot of help I know but just wanted you to know that you are not alone and it is a constant battle with the health care professionals.......

    ?If I was you I would come of the Omperazole and keep pushing for answers.

    ?Good luck and hope you feel better soon..



    • Posted

      Thank you Ruby, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one.

      It's life altering to be in pain and discomfort but there seems to be no recognition of that when asking proffesionaks for help.

      I hope you get sorted soon and please keep me up to date

      Take care

      Sharon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.