Upper stomach pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had endoscopy came back with bacterial infection in gut . Given course of antibiotics.

Then given Omeprazole to take for two months. Just come off tablets and now have pain back again in upper stomach region getting worse each day. Only fifth day so not too bad. No other symptoms. Does this mean will get worse?

Anyone else had this.?

What is wrong?

Do I need to stay on Omeprazole forever ? It seems to mask pain.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Omeprezole is basically for reflux. If the anti-biotics did not help go back to your doctor.

• Posted

I take it you were diagnosed with H pylori? This infection ravages the gut and so do the antibiotics. Perhaps try some yoghurt to replace good gut bacteria stripped out by the antibiotics. It is common to get even more pain with h pylori treatment. Give it a week, go back on omeprazole and see what happens. If still in pain, go back to your doctor and get retested for h pylori which can be resistant to antibiotics and can come back, Also ask about the possibility of gastritis. H pylori can cause this.

• Posted

Hello. I had to comment even though I'm not sure I'll offer much. I had h pylori and treated it with antibiotics then took an additional two weeks of omeprazole. When I went off the omeprazole I had pain, almost like a rebound pain for a few weeks. I tested negative on the H Pylori breath test so I had successfully eradicated the bacteria but my stomach just needed some time to heal. Like previous poster said, it ravages your gut and my doctor made it seem like I should be perfectly better within 2 days of starting antibiotics. Here I am months later just starting to feel like myself again. I had read online some people also have withdrawal symptoms from omeprazole. Definitely retest to make sure you treated the infection successfully and take it from there. I have been surprised at how long and arduous this process has been. They wanted me to have an endoscopy but I was too scared to do it so I cancelled it and I'm now just starting to feel my symptoms subsiding after being on ZERO pills for quite a few weeks. I do have a consult with the gastroenterologist next week to discuss everything that has happened and what little pain I have remaining and acid reflux. I too have wondered if the infection has left me with GERD or gastritis. If you see your doctor again let me know how you make out! Good luck.

• Posted

hi,

could i ask what were your symptoms if the infection? i have pain and not sure to push the doctor for endoscopy thanks kelly

• Posted

i had chest pain that i soon learned was heartburn, i was burping A TON!!! and had upper abdominal pain that hurt to push on and would come and go throughout the day depending on if my stomach was empty or not.

• Posted

thanks for the reply, it doesn't sound like my symptoms 🙄🤔. back to the wondering 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.