Upping lexapro from 20mg to 30mg

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone had to up their dose from 20 to 30mg? I was doing so good for 3 months at 20, then had a setback after a night of drinking (I don’t drink regularly at all). My doctor said we could go to 30 and he even gave me the script to have on hand if I don’t calm down soon. It has been 6 days and I am not 100% but got myself to work today! I am just wondering if being on 30 would allow me to weather the bumps in the road better. 

Has anyone been in my boat? If so, how was it going from 20 to 30?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am on 25mg and a friend of mine is on 30mg. You can always try 25mg to see how that works or jump straight to 30mg.  If you aren’t feeling good then you should jump. Also, if it is around your period, the meds sometimes don’t work as well.  What is your age? I ask because I am perimenopausal which can affect moods.
    • Posted

I started feeling good again in the last two days, still at 20. Maybe I just had a rough patch. Work has been kind of crazy but I normally thrive in the busy times. I am 33 years old and this slump did happen right during the week leading up to ovulation. Once ovulation was over I started feeling better. Maybe my monthly hormones are impacting me a bit. I wonder if 25 would allow me to sail through without any relapses. Still unsure... BUT feel good today!
    • Posted

I remember it took several months for no more rough patches so hang in there! Glad you are doing better!
    • Posted

Hi Erin, hope all is well. I am curious, when you fill your prescription for 25mg, do they give you a month supply of 20mg and 5mg, 30 pills of each?
    • Posted

Hi Amber, I am back to my old happy self! A month ago I thought I would never get better. Thank goodness for Lexapro. How are you doing? I have a 20mg and a separate 5mg prescription. Are you bumping up in mg?
    • Posted

I am thinking about bumping. I am mostly okay with some half days here and there with anxiety but usually a half klonopin does the trick. I think I might talk to my doctor about it this week. I just feel 30 could be too much. Glad to hear you are doing so well!!! 
    • Posted

Hi Amber! How are you doing? did you ever bump up? I am thinking of bumping to 30 with docs help of course. I have bumps in the road still sad Hope you are well!
    • Posted

Hi Erin. Sorry to hear you are having bumps in the road. My doctor didn’t increase me despite my request. He asked me instead to rate the bumps in my road from worst to best. Interestingly I noticed my “bumps” weren’t as bad as the one previous. He said this was good and was sure I would bounce back quickly, and I did. I have been working really hard with my CBT therapist too which has been huge.  He said that when I have a bump in the road I sort of go into “a serotonin deficit” and it takes the Lexapro time to reach the good levels again. He says the adrenaline and anxious thoughts interrupt the good level and it takes time to get back to myself. Keep me posted about your progress! I am hear to support you!
    • Posted

You are so kind, Amber! Thanks for sharing what you doctor said. These bumps are no fun and always feel like we are stuck in this feeling. You comment is reassuring to me smile Thank you for that! Have a lovely day and weekend.
    • Posted

Hi Erin , I just think we need to give the medication more time and not to increase the dose frequently. The trick is in the time. The more months pass the more stabilized my brain. PATIENCE. PATIENCE
    • Posted

Amber thanks for the input.  I have been on Lexapro for 5 weeks and still have side effects.  I have the pressure in my head and slight headaches.  Do you think I will have to deal with this or do I need to up my Lexapro from 5 mg to 10 mg.  I really don't want to go through the beginning side effects again.  This whole process is scary, never had go through side effects like this before.

• Posted

I wouldn’t mess with the 30 mg. I just think that’s too high a dose, for me at least. I can almost guarantee you’re going to experience side effects all over again, drowsiness, nausea, etc. I just started taking Escitalopram. I’m only on my ninth day of 10 mg, at night. The thing is, everybody’s different. If you do decide to increase the dose, please let us know how you’re doing.
    • Posted

I ended up waiting it out and felt better after a week. Hopefully bumps are done!! Good luck to you all. Feels so great to feel normal again but it does take time and as Shery says, patience.,, hugs!!
  • Posted

hi amber I'm after a little advice from the wife of a lexapro taker my husband has just been upped from 20 to 30mg and I need to knownwhat I could expect, I don't want to get upset with him for not getting out of bed or "being lazy" I really want to understand

Ebony x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.