Upping my dose of sertraline

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive got postpartum anxiety and have been on 50mg sertraline for 4 weeks. I had very little side effects and felt 100% better after 2 days. Then at day 21 I crashed right back down (think this was due to my period and the fact I'd been taking the hormone pill) I stopped the pill and have felt loads better since but don't feel back to where I did before I crashed back down. Ive also been told I have anaemia which can effect low mood and anxiety so have been started on iron for that. The dr has said to up to 100mg but I'm wary of doing this and asked if I could go to 75mg which she said was fine. However I'm wondering whether I should give the 50mg more time to work to get me back to where I was at the beginning or whether that has long gone now and I need to up the meds. I'm also worried about side effects and feeling worse...dr says if I didn't get that first time round I should be ok this time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

Lucky you not having many side effects i am very envious! It sounds to me like you may have had a placebo effect from feeling better almost immediately from the med.

It's a tough call really, perhaps the med was messed up a little by the hormone pill and now needs some time to readjust or it may be that you have got all benefit from that dosage and need a little more help

It's up to you, if it was me I would wait 2 more weeks and then if things didn't improve I would try 75 or 100. As you didn't get side effects in the start up I would be surprised if you did on an increase

Good luck! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.