ups and downs of fatigue syndrome

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would say that I'm quite a mild sufferer but I'm interested in the thoughts of other "mild" sufferers.

I get aches and pains, light headedness, wobbly on foot at times. Flu like symptoms, pretty much a constant sore throat and glands to the sides on my neck. I do manage work and by the end of the week I can feel like my battery is completely empty and very numb.

I really dont understand it even thought I've had it for almost 10 years. For example today. First thing this morning I felt fine, I've been off work so havnt done a lot, just bits and Bobs. Get to around 4pm and BOOM, feel total crud. Started with a light sick feeling in my stomach. Then I just go really tired, cold, wobbly and just generally shattered. I suffer with anxiety so it's really hard not to freak out haha.

I must say that for me exercise has helped in the past. I started running a very short distance and upped it over time and did feel generally better. I was part of the Barts of london G.E.T. trail and it did work. That being said I've not ran in a while so maybe I should start again!

Anyway hit me with your thoughts

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

you are a lucky man. It is now 4 yrs since i have been able to work. I now struggle to walk.especially uphill. I would love to be able to run. Think yourself lucky! I would love to get back working and running about roofs, but i don't have the energy anymore to even climb a ladder. I actually have difficulty going uphill or even climbing stairs. I wish i had your mobility.

• Posted

Hi there,

I hear you. One minute you can feel okay, the next not.

For me, it's a question of always moderating my energy output. I used to be a boom or bust person. Loved pouring myself into work and could spend hours/days/weeks mentally wrapped up in one problem or another. I can no longer work that way. I am not able to hold down a job anymore, but I freelance from home, and can only work in maximum blocks of 2 hours, even then I'll only ever do a total of 6 hours and some days, if I feel the need to pull back, I may not work at all.

I also find it helps to make sure I eat in a way that keeps my blood sugar even. Hunger or blood sugar crashes just make things worse for me.

I walk and do restorative yoga at home. The latter needs some space and props, but I usually feel way better afterwards.

Often, you can do seemingly everything to support yourself and the energy just sinks and the pain, dizziness etc emerge. This, I'm learning, is the nature of the beast. The more you don't try to fight it, and instead work with it, the calmer it seems to become.

Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.