Upset stomach after taking Lansoprazole for 6 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on lansoprazole for 6 weeks and now seem to be getting an upset stomach , as in having to evacuate ,worse in the mornings . Has anyone else had this problem ? 

Thanks 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Come off  Lansoprazole and try over the counter antacids instead.  They are milder on the stomach.
    • Posted

I'm thinking if doing that , I was prescribed it for 8 weeks for mild reflux which was basically an irritating cough , throat clearing all the time and a bit of discomfort just where your ribs meet in the middle . I finish the course in about 10 days . Not sure if the stomach upset is a coincidence or something to do with the Lansoprazole .

im hoping to keep,it all at bay with Appleccider vinegar taken regularly before ire meals 

• Posted

Gaviscon will do the job since you only have mild reflux.  I have the same reflux symptoms and use over the counter antacids.  

I think the drug you are on is too strong and irritant for a small amount of reflux.  Watch with vinegar which is acidic and could make hearburn worse.  If you upset stomach clears up after coming off your medication, then this a sign you are intolerant to it, You will be sure then.

it is ok to discontinue medication before the course finishes if it is making you unwell.  I was given a six week course of Mebeverine for IBS.  It disagreed with me after taking the first tablet so I threw them out within 4 days.  I only took a few tablets from the first slide.

• Posted

This is probably caused by high gastrin levels which is normal after taking PPI for several weeks ,you should be normal after a week

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.