Upset stomach and diarrhea after upper GI

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an upper GI today and before I could even get home I developed a horrible stomach ache and diarrhea. I lost control of my bowels. I am now curled up on bed freezing. What could be wrong?...

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Corie,

Unless the diarrhoea was black (looking like tar) and foul-smelling, you probably don't need to worry. Tarry stools are an indication of internal bleeding, and are very recognisable. Blood from the top end of the digestive system gets digested as it passes through the intestines, and takes on this black, sticky appearance.

Usually the pain people experience after gastroscopy is down to the air that's pumped into the stomach to inflate it during the procedure. It's often much worse when the procedure has been done under sedation.

Keep a check on the appearance of your stools, and as long as they're a normal colour, albeit loose, just rest as much as possible. If you still don't feel any better tomorrow, you might want to talk to your doctor. In the event you see black stools, this is of course a medical emergency and you should call an ambulance immediately.

However, it's very rare indeed for a gastroscopy, with or without biopsy, to cause any damage. It's far more likely you're just reacting to the air.

I hope you'll soon feel better.

• Posted

I had the same reaction to upper endoscopy. I had IV anesthesia and I am sure they pumped air into my stomach. I had to rest for a couple of days afterwards. Just had to take it easy. My body temperature was also low. Also got a bad sore throat. Rest and rehydrate! Everyone reacts differently. It’s strange that the Drs don’t point out these possibilities in advance. It would go a long way to making the patients feel more reassured.

I had so many surgeries at least I was in the hospital and the staff followed up. Think about it - you fast and drink no water for hours, they give you strong drugs, blow air into your stomach, stick a tube down there, take some tissue samples, then send you home.

Well - it’s not too surprising after all that a person would feel kind of lousy for a couple days. They never tell you these things in advance or most people wouldn’t even take the test.

You take care! If it doesn’t let up soon or you get a fever or start to vomit, I would call the Dr right away. Basic good health is such a blessing. People who have it don’t realize what some others go through. Thanks for asking and sharing.

Good luck😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.