Upset stomach from alcohol consumption

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm a fomer serious problem drinker, who after January 1993, aged 37, found themselves unable to drink alcohol any more, simply, it made me feel deathly awful. And yet recently, I found I could...drink again. However, could I? The reason I ask is, following only moderate alcohol consumption, say six units, it upsets my stomach, producing days, say a week, of mild nausea, and an upset stomach. Obviously, I've stopped again. I'm 59 after all, with health issues, none too serious ones but health issues nonetheless; and my tum is hardly likely to be what it was. I was wondering if anyone might know what I'm suffering from when this occurs...could it be alcoholic gastritis? Is there any way of finding out for sure; or would I have to drink again (something I don't really want to do). Or could it be dyspepsia (last time it happened, I drank around six units on an empty stomach)? Is there a difference between gastritis and dyspepsia does anyone know? Is there any way of finding out what might be going on? In the meantime, I'm going back to not drinking, the risk seems too hight to me.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You MUST go to your doctor to get checked out. We cant be amateur doctors on here, it needs professional diagnosis
    • Posted

Hi Olivo, thanks for commenting, you're right, I think I'll make an appointment at my local clinic in the near future.
  • Posted

Oilvo is correct. You need to see a doctor and get referred for investigations. There are many things it could be, most of which would be easy to treat.
    • Posted

Hi Paul, thanks for commenting, yes I agree. I think I'm going to make an appointment at my local clinic very soon.
  • Posted

It could be liver related and you need to get that checked out immediately...good luck
    • Posted

Hi Carol, thanks for your comment, yes it possibly could, I'm due for a health review soon, including a blood test I think, and so be able to see what condition my liver is in then.
  • Posted

I also have had stomach problems due to drinking. Peptic ulcer and pancreas issues. Drinking and troublesome stomach seem to go hand and hand. The worst problems for me occur when I drink for days and don't eat at all. When my stomach used go get very bad I couldn't drink at all. Unfortunately the best cure is no drinking ! Good luck !
    • Posted

Hi, Graham, that's what I'm doing right now, not drinking. I can't see myself drinking any time soon either. I've been advised to have various tests to see what might be wrong. Thanks for replying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.