Upset tummy is it amitriptyline

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was put on ami taken off citalopram for 2 years can't honestly say I 've felt well acid reflux morning anxiety agorophpnis stopped 25m to 20 after 2 weeks 15 then 10 then stopped nausea is the worst and anxiety in a morning every so often gassy tummy and loose bowels as I tapered off I started back on citalopram it's only been 17 days is this all normal withdrawal does it peak or get easier

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

This is a known side effect of Amitriptyline and will sort itself out in time. Some patients seem to be more susceptible than others and, in my opinion, you did the right thing in tapering off. It is never wise to stay on a medication that you are 'sensitive' to but it sounds as if you had the backing of your Doctor to swap back over to Citalopram which is good. What you have experienced is definitely usual withdrawal symptoms. The brain and body just need more time to adjust so try not to put an ending date to this 'withdrawal', just be patient and kind to yourself. Hope it sorts out for you soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.