Ureathral dilation

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a penile stricture ( born with hypospadius and had several surgeries when a youth) and had it dilated in late 2005 with a urethrotomy.  I have self dilated since then 1 time a day with good success with a Fr 14 .  I only have to go in about 1.5 inches.  

In the last month I have noticed my urine stream slowing and the fr 14 won’t go in as far.  I now use a fr 12.  

Went to urologist last week and he barely got his age 16 cystoscope in the end but could see the narrowing area and he suggests another dilation since my first lasted 12 years with my willingness to self dilate ( which I don’t love but don’t mind).    He advises it’s no cure but thinks it’s worth a try to get me more time to avoid other options. 

My question was to others that self dilate, especially those with penile strictures,  to learn how long your dilation  procedures have worked for you. 

I am hoping to get a few years out of this one.  Anything more would be great. 

I do have an appointment with a urethral reconstruction expert in July at Wake Forest ( Dr. Terlecki) that I am going to ask my options regarding urethroplasty or a perineal urethrostomy, 

I am 47. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was left with a complex stricture after surgery for BPH damaged my urethra in the area of external sphincter.  So my stricture was/(is?) different from yours.  The stricture left me with an incompetent sphincter, causing high level incontinence.

Not knowing the cause of my incontinence (my original doctor didn't tell me that I had a stricture and sent mefor useless months of PT to try to fix the incontinence.  I was  really depressed, so I sought out a new doctor who did artificial urinary sphincter (AUS) implants.  My search led me to Dr. Terlecki at Wake Forest in Winston-Salem.  He discovered my stricture, which is in a difficult area for reconstruction.   He eventually came up with a solution that that allowed me to have the AUS implant, and it has given me my life back.  That was last year, and in addition to having the incontinence issue solved, my flow is still great.  ( I did not opt for urethroplasty due to my age, and the difficult location of my stricture.)

Dr. Terlecki is a great surgeon, a great communicator and a wonderful human being.   I believe you have made an excellent choice, and will be happy with Dr. T, his office and WF hospital   His office is very modern with a large screen overhead that allows you to see what he is seeing during a cystoscopy.   Dr. Terlecki usually has a fellow working with him, so you're likely to encounter a fellow, who is an experienced urologist who has come to work under Dr. Terlecki for specialized training.

If you need any information about Winston Salem, etc., I'll be happy to answer.

• Posted

Do you have to self dilate at all?   I can’t remember if I’ve asked you that before. 

I’m looking forward to seeing him in July.  Hopefully earlier if there is a cancellation 

• Posted

No, it wouldn't be possible.  The site of my stricture is in the membranous urethra.   My AUS (artificial urinary sphincter) has a cuff that is anterior (down stream) of the stricture site.  The AUS cuff is closed, except when I use a manual pump (located in the scrotum) to open it when I need to pee. Look up AMS-800 if you're curious.   I wear a medical bracelet to make sure I don't get taken to a hospital and someone tries to put a catheter in.  It could damage my urethra where the cuff is.   I am hoping that the fact that the stricture area of the urethra is essentially always pressurized will keep the stricture from re-forming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.