Urethea problems with AV

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have Av. just started premarin cream. Lately i am having UtI symptoms but not burning. Is this due to Av? i am 63 and post menapaiseal

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it can be. It's good that you have started with hormone cream. I have so far escaped the UTI issue, but others have posted having the problem.

• Posted

how long does it take for the hormone cream to kick in for the urethea area? At times it feels sore on the outside and at times it is unfortable to sit for long periods of time. I just was dx with this a few months ago with AV and BV because i thought i had a bad uti and they loaded me on antibobics which made it worst with the burning and irriation. They done a wet test and confirmed BV with metro gel. Now i am bothered with this urethea thing. Im at my wits end.

• Posted

Sorry, I don't have that issue so I can't say, but others have who have posted here. If no one weighs in maybe you can search old posts.

But if taking antibiotics has caused problems then you need to repopulate your good bacteria with probiotics. I drink kefir myself, but that's for IBS in my case. You need some live cultures in you.

• Posted

Yes I think that's the root cause, but if you had BV that can make you have those symptoms until you get rid of the infecttion. I've been having vaginal infections (candida and bacterial) and every time it affected the urethra real bad, I thought I had a UTI too. The urologist told me I need to use estrogen vaginal cream and vaginal probiotics to end this cycle, but it's being hard so far..

• Posted

let me start from the first doctor visit . I was burning so bad from antibotics, due to uti which came back no infection and three different cultures were negative but the ER doctor anyway kept giving me the meds for uti. I was burning so bad that i couldnt wear panties. Anyway, the situation was getting worst so I saw my gyco doctor. She said i had AV and done a wet smear test and urine test to. She gave me Premarin cream and metro gel later on because the test showed that i had BV. Okay, I had BC 15 years ago,lumpectory,but BC was not horomone related,so she said it was ok for me to use the cream for a week every night and then 3times a week. Then at the time i wasnt having pee problems but i was so swollen outside that the outside of my urethea looked red and raw to. Fast forward,I tried the cream for three days but read about the side effects and i got scared and stopped. That was around the holidays then. Since ive started the UTI symptoms,like peeing a lot and some small spasms then i thought i would start the cream again which I ve only been on7 days now. I dont itch and i dont have discharge and no foul fishy smell down there. My question is, when does the cream kick in and is this uti symptoms related to AV? I dont see my doctor for follow up until two more weeks. Im getting nervous over this because this AV just came out all of a sudden for me. I am 63 and i quit my period when I took my first chemo treatment which was to be expected. For the BV I guess i got it from all the horomone changes or the use of all the antibotics because I havent had sex in over a year ago.....and still havent,I am married. Sorry for the long post but I NEED HELP

• Posted

My symptoms started all of a sudden too and I'm only 47 and in perimenopause. It all started with a UTI and then many different vaginal infections. The ginecologist and urologist both prescribed estriol vaginal cream, but I can't use it every day because I had a thrombosis and was scared .They also told me to take probiotics and now I'm taking one orally for the gut and another topically for the vagina. I think you must wait for the cream to start working a few weeks. I haven't had sex either since all this started, waiting to get better.. The UTIS are related to the AV, that's what my urologist said, because the tissue in the urethra is the same as in the vagina and feeds from estrogen. That's the theory, I hope the treatment works..

• Posted

i'm in the UK so we dont have Premarin as far as i'm aware. I use Estriol cream twice a week internally and externally around the urethra. I used to have uti symptoms but this eventually stopped them. I also take a probiotic everyday which I believe helps

• Posted

I take two probiotics everyday. One is curtelle and the other is ISO Fresh for the vaginal health. Been taking these for over five years. I have diver., disease and I take it for good bacteria in the gut. Ive had a CT scan last month for pelvic region and tummy with contrast and all was perfect. No prolapes of uterus and bladder,.etc. All clear tests. At times I feel like panties are uncomfortable to wear and i wear all cotton. When i see my doc in two weeks maybe she will change my cream or maybe it hasnt had time to work yet. thank you for any help!

• Posted

VolLady,

Have you considered getting bio identical estriol cream instead of the premarin? Estriol is the safest of hormone creams. There is cream to use on the outside along with cream with a applicator for inside. I use to be on hormone creams that were made at a compounding pharmacy, they worked very well. Now I do the pellets. I'm 59. I believe if we don't replenish our estrogen we will run into problems. The whole region is fed with estrogen down below. Our bladders are open to more infections and problems when tissues start thinning from estrogen loss opening up the chance for bacteria to enter easier. Just a suggestion.

• Posted

If you use Instagram check out my_menopausal_vagina or menopause_doctor both are brilliant and have great advice. Think they are UK based though so possibly some drugs may not be available to you as I assume you are in America. I believe Estriol is a much better cream than Permarin which is made from pregnant mares urine

• Posted

Wardrobe,

You are absolutely right about the premarin. It is made with pregnant horse urine and thats why our body doesn't know how to process it properly.

• Posted

thank you! I will ask my doctor about the other cream

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.