Urethral bulking injection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies following an anterior repair I have been left with stress incontinence and although it is improving slowly I still leak every day and especially when I cough.  Following a urodynamic test I asked my surgeon about these injection as I do not want to have the colposuspension surgery.  Does anyone have experience of them 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maisie,

?I had a Bulkamid injection last year but I can't recommend it as the effects wore off after a couple of months.  This is a procedure which has to be done over and over again and the NHS (if you are in UK) would be unlkely to pay.  I ended up having a Colposuspensin which has worked very well. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I have not read great things with that operation and as my stress incontinence was as a result of the repair am not willing to risk another set of possibly worse set backs
    • Posted

Not sure what you've heard that's bad because this has been the gold standard operation for stress incontinence for a long time in this country.  It's only recently that urologists have been steering patients towards TVT instead as it's much easier to do and cheaper, however there are many risks associated with that; maybe you're confusing the two,

?From my point of view the colposuspension has changed my life and I'm grateful every day that I made the decision to have it done after much research and consideration first.  If your stress incontinence is bearable and you'd prefer to leave things as they are that may be the best option for you; in my case the impact on my life made me determined to do something about it and the colposuspension was the only safe and permanent solution I could find.  Good luck whatever you decide to do, it's a horrible, embarrasing problem.

• Posted

Have you considered a Trans vaginal Tape?. This is only for stress incontinence and not urge incontinence. You say you have already had urodynamics done so your consultant should be able to tell if you are suitable.     How long ago did your have the anterior repair? Do ask your consultant about the options before making your mind up.     I had a TVT and have never looked back. Fantastic result.
    • Posted

Tvt no longer done in Scotland following harrowing failures so am not interested.  Have discussed it with surgeon and don't want the colposuspension again has not great results and I can end up with worse complications than I already gave .  

• Posted

Hi

i had tvt and colposuspension done 15 months ago and have more leaking now than before surgery!  Dr now advising the urethral bulking but like you I am now Leary of having more procedures.  I was told the bulking is just a temporary fix and more than likely would have to be repeated. Wishing you success in whatever you decide to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.