Urethral Catheter & Slighly enlanged prospate gland

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, Could someone kindly advise.

I am 72 male . Every 25 days or so my underpants are damp in the morning. During the day there is no problem, time between pee;s is typical 2.5 hours.

I have had an ultrasonice scan which shows that I am not emptying my bladder 100%. I am now due to have a flexible cystoscopy. If the cystoscopy is normal, then the next plan is to install an urethral catheter.

The catheter does seem extreme ???  I have yet to meet the consultant for his final assessment, but his initial recommendation is very concerning.

Does any one have any other similar experiences

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The 'solution', if it is that, does seem a bit extreme to me too. However, I would have thought there are many other things to check first: enlarged prostate (BHP; maybe dealt with by a prostatectomy; maybe some drug/pill). No doubt others will give better advice here than I.

I lived with a urine retention of 300 - 600 mL for years without much bother (tho' it may not have helped my bladder cancer recurrences). It was only when it got to 1.2L and back-washed into my kidney, causing an enlarged ureter and increased blood pressure, that I first had a catheter (to see how things improved - they did) and then the prostatectomy (which worked fine - only needing to pee every 4-6 hours now).

Remember, you can always have a second (or third) opinion.

• Posted

Seems a strange decision for something that happens so seldom, are you in the UK? Surely to self catheterise at night to fully empty your bladder would be enough.

You do not say if you get up to the toilet during the night.

Have they checked the size of your prostate?

• Posted

derek 76

Thanks for the reply, and I do live in the UK. My prostate is slighly enlarged very typical for someone of my age.

I would say 8 out of 10 nights I would get up to go the toilet. During the day I have no problem, but I guess from results so far that I am not empty my bladder. This does not cause me any problem

• Posted

Was the suggestion of the urethral catheter from a urologist or a urology nurse?

• Posted

It was from the Urological Surgeon. He reported that the normal plan was to insert an urethral catheter.  Maybe when I discuss the on-going management plan with the surgeon things may change.

• Posted

Hello Ralph

The sequence of events as you have described them is puzzling. 

What additional information/ observations are you able to mention,  that might lead to a better understanding of your Consultant's comments ?

Do you have someone accompany you to your appointments

• Posted

It would seem a good idea to revisit your Consultant and seek further clarification.

Good Luck

Regards,

Dudley

• Posted

Does any any one have any feedback with regards to "private" verse NHS treatment with regards to this type of prospate problem.
    • Posted

Most private urologists are just moonlighting from their NHS work.

Last private consultation I had cost £175 with a surgeon and that was for his opinion without any tests.

You will need to Google or phone the private hospitals in your area.

If you are in London or Brighton I could give you names of two who are very good.

• Posted

I was wondering if there would any difference with the following treatment methods.

a) Consultant plus private treatment

b) Consultant/NHS treatment

I suspect the consultant with the private treatment with all the different facilities at his finger tips would have the advantage,

Going through the NHS I suspect the consutlant will get bogged down with other prorities,

• Posted

I agree with others in that NHS probably has superior treatment options to private (the former are usually much larger hospitals with larger departments). The actual surgeons are generally the same. But for specific treatments, such as HoLEP prostatectomy as I had, then the private was just as good.

The main benefit of private is speed of appointment - I had mine done in about a week after the last consultation with my NHS uroogist. The NHS waiting time was months, something I wasn't willing to put up with 'cos I found the catheter unpleasant.

The cost for me was about £5,500 at Brentwood Nuffield. The 'hotel' side of the hospital was very good.- private room, etc.

• Posted

The catheter was inserted because I was not emptying my bladder fully. The urine was going back into my kidneys, which through time would be damaged.

My first catheter dropped out, which was stressful My second catheter still working ok, not easy to get used to.

All set for a TURP operation, which hopefully will cure my problem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.