Urethral dilation and cystoscopy full recovery time - 31 years old

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

On 16th June I had a urethral dilation and cystoscopy after living for many years with a tight urethra and strictures restricting urinary flow.

I left hospital the following day with a catheter that was inserted during surgery to both keep the urethra dilated whilst avoiding excess pain when passing during the healing process. I removed the catheter after 5 days, and passing urine is now so much faster than before. I'm constantly timing and measuring output to see if it slows down, and so far it's looking reasonably positive 10 days after the op.

However, during erections my urethra is very sore, and my penis reluctant to sit up straight, and seems to resist a little, to the point that sex or masturbation is not practical as it's just too painful when fully erect.

I called the urology department that treated me and ran this past a nurse that looked after me during my stay, and she explained this was quite normal given the surgery, and that I shouldn't worry.

I'm wondering, how long this pain is likely to last? I'm perfectly comfortable when flaccid and day to day life is not compromised, but my sex life is temporarily on hold.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

This pain may last for 1-2 months since the stricture site now is a wound which needs time to heal. You may try suppositories with propolis or with methyluracil to accelerate healing.
  • Posted

Hey there , I had a few dviu's before my urethroplasty, that will be normal for about a month . Tightness is exactly the correct word , they cut away scar tissue that was normal for you before .

• Posted

How are you after urethroplasty? Some surgeons say results are worse for strictures previously treated by multiple DVIUs... Is the pain tolerable?
    • Posted

Sorry I thought you had a DVIU , now seeing it was just a dialation , but I would think the symptoms are still normal. It was a tough road going threw urethroplasty but being three months post op , just had my follow up last week with cystoscopy, the graft took great, no recurrence and my stream is amazing . I now don't go back for a year . Reason being its more complicated after DVIUs and dilations is because there is less healthy tissue to work with. I would recommend urethroplasty to anyone with stricture disease, I now get to start my life over , in the best way possible. It's such a quality of life difference.

• Posted

Urethroplasty is the only option for us with stricture disease. The alternative decision are just not good.
    • Posted

Honestly don't remember . Doc wasn't sure how he was going to lay it until he was in surgery . I know I asked him Following morning but don't remember.

• Posted

I am very afraid of pain after urethroplasty. And a catheter for a long time. How did you stand those 3 weeks with the catheter? It's a serious challenge.

• Posted

It was not easy by any means . I could not sleep at night from elections that kept me up . It was the longest three weeks of my life . Lots of sitting in my recliner and watching tv and pain pills. It was all worth it in the end .
    • Posted

Yes, I agree, elections with a tube are very painful. There may be some medication supressing elections, antidepressants or something like that... Good luck to you and greetings from Moscow! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.