Urethral dilation with cystoscopy - male 26

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I saw a urologist this last Monday and he attempted to perform a cystoscopy but was unable to due to my urethra being too small. The attempt was horribly painful and now I have a planned surgery of dilation and the cystoscopy.

Has anyone heard of this procedure and have any insight of what to expect?

My biggest concern is the pain post-op and having to have a catheter in for a few days while my urethra is already sore and even more sensitive.

The doctor thinks it's likely the original stricture could have been caused by a poorly placed catheter along with scaring from an appendectomy so I'm already holding a grudge against catheters in general.

If anyone has any insight into this procedure please let me know. Very much appreciated.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i have the same issue but my stricture was from 2 past surgeries. my forst was a hypospadia and my second was from scar tissue. MY problem came back last year and i was actually unable to urinate at all. i have switched to self dilation with a catheter once a week and it seems to have been working since. you should talk to your doctor abput that.

• Posted

Hi Sean,

I've heard about this. How long was your stricture and did you have any other procedures before deciding on this course of action?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.