Urethral Issues, possible UTI

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a female and on about the 20th of December I made a huge mistake of shaving my pubic area with hair conditioner in the bath tub. I was mentally under a lot of stress, exhausted and restless during this time due to exams (possibly this contributed to weakening my immune system?). The following morning I noticed a slight discomfort, a burning sensation in my urethra after peeing. I thought this was odd because I have been drinking water continually for past two weeks leading up so I knew I was not dehydrated. The pain continued after I peed for about two hours, so I continued to drink more water in hopes to flush whatever it was out of my system. That night I woke up to vaginal cramping and watery discharge, that's when I knew something was wrong. After a little research I assumed that I was experiencing a yeast infection due to the discharge and discomfort, so I got over the counter AZO cream that you take once for treatment. However, the following days the burning sensation is my urethra was only getting worse, even though i was strictly drinking cranberry juice and water, so I invested in AZO uti pain relief and cranberry pills instead and took them religiously. The pain was hardly subdued and it felt more like it was leaving my urethra dry and faintly burnt. For about a week the symptoms went away, but they came back full force so I went back to my regimen of cranberry tabs, water and uti relief, even though it was not doing much. The symptoms have been on and off, but this past weekend I noticed that my urine was cloudy with an unusual odor, along with slight abdomen pain, which I researched was a sign of a possible kidney infection. I met with my doctor on Tuesday to get a diagnosis but surprisingly my urine results came back negative. She decided to give a vaginal examine. After a cotton swab she said I had a "little" yeast in my vagina so she prescribed me an antibiotic for a yeast infection. Although i felt frustrated, because i have not experienced any vaginal itchiness or burning that would correlate to a yeast infection, I took it anyways with claims that it will give relief within 24 hours. It has been two days and my urine will sometimes come out cloudy still and the pain I get from peeing has returned, and i feel the urge to urinate frequently even though I just went. I doubt it's a uti at this point but I am unsure of what it could be.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sydney,

I haven't been on here in a long time but emails still come to me about my original topic and I saw your post quite by accident..I myself had a similar incident where I took a bath a few years ago in dettol as there was no savlon in the chemist.. the lady there insisted they were the same..they weren't.. it was to deal with a pimple I had on my labia...stupid I know...those items are Irish products so I'm not sure you've heard of them...the next day the burning started..it was outside at first and got worse and spread inside with pain like a uti.....it made life very difficult for me and it took me months here in Ireland to get a diagnosis and treatment..I eventually found a dr who had dealt with it before..I was diagnosed with vulvodynia..which translated means vulval pain but that's the only name they have for it..I then found this site and others here in Ireland with the same issue..they helped me greatly and I knew I wasn't alone..the only treatment is 2 drugs called amytriptiline and lyrica. I couldnt take lyrica but some people can..it works by deadening pain sensors apparently..obviously this was a long journey for me and you may not have this but sounds the same and started the same..there are also creams for outside burning that help..some people have it inside only and some outside only and some have both with varying degrees of discomfort from person to person ...it is treatable and is diagnosed much quicker elsewhere as it's more well known than here..it would be worth mentioning to your dr at least..I was told there is always a trigger for this and the sitz bath was mine..the dettol started a reaction and my body did the rest...I hope this helps a little and that you are more comfortable. There are lots of wonderful people on here who really helped me and I hope you feel better soon.

lisa

• Posted

It's essential you see your doctor who is the only one to be consulted re your problem he/she may refer you but may well carry out more tests instead of the guesswork on this forum........

If I were you I would pick the phone up or email your surgery right now........ Bets wishes.

There must be reasons for your problem and it is only doctor /lab who will resolve it. If it is an infection that cannot be resolved then empirical antibiotics may be given by someone who is

knowledgeable and has expertise in your problem...... Us lot on here can compare notes with you but that is no solution to get you better....... Please see your doctor without delaying that visit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.