Urethral Sticture Dilatation

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have to use a 6mm catheter tube every day to keep a stricture from closing up. I have been doing it for 5 days but find it very uncomfortable pushing it up into my bladder until it releases urine. Is it really necessary to go into the bladder ? As long as I get past the stricture isn't that enough. Would like to know your thoughts. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello my friend.  Where is your stricture.  I have on just before the prostate.  Mine is doing fine.  I will have to read up on it but I think if your able to get through the strickture you should be able to pee on your own.  What did your doctor tell you.  I will do some looking and see if I fined anything  Take care  ken  
    • Posted

Hi Kenneth thanks for the reply. My stricture is before the prostrate too and is about 1.5" long. Yes I do pee on my own. Do you go through to the bladder when you dilatate ?

I had a shock because I wasn't told I was going to have to do this after I had an op. They sliced through the stricture so they could get a camera into my bladder. Then had a catheter in for 4 days. Nurse came round and  removed it so I thought that was it until another nurse phoned me up last week to tell me she was visiting to show me how to keep stricture open. I was gob smacked. Anyway she assisted whilst I did my first dilatation and made me go right through to the bladder. 4 days later I'm beginning to wonder if it's necessary as it isn't pleasant as long as I push past the stricture.

• Posted

I don't have to do the dilation because it is open for now.  If you like I can ask my doctor if it is neecessary to go all the way or just go through the stricture.  Your doctor should have told you something before the op. What kind of surgery did you have.  Your doing this to keep it open right.  Ken

• Posted

It started when they tried to camera into my bladder to check my prostrate as I have low grade cancer of prostrate luckily contained. I had been complaining about peeing a lot even though I was on tablets to help reduce size of prostrate. They got about 2" in and couldn't go any further so I had to go back another day whereupon they knocked me out and sliced through the scar tissue and pushed camera into bladder to check it out.

I have an appointment with urology tomorrow so was just seeing what other people do before I ask them.

• Posted

No problem.  Let me know ask your urologist.  My doctor will all ways  answers any questions I ask.  Ken  Hope all is fine 
    • Posted

Hello PS  I hope all is going well.  How did everything go at the doctors.  Have a nice holiday  Ken
  • Posted

Hi PST555,

I am in a similar but slightly different situation. I have to use a slightly smaller catheter (3.5mm) four times a day - this is not to keep open a stricture (as far as I know) but to pee at all, because my sphincter is lockd in the off position! The last stage of insertion, getting it past the sphincter into the bladder, is indeed unpleasant, and my solution is just to go very slowly indeed until the pee starts flowing. It may be in your situation, if your sphincter is working, that you will start to pee before entering the bladder, once you have got past the stricture. Is that beofre or after your sphincter, do you know?

• Posted

Hi Colin

Sorry to hear about your plight I guess I should feel lucky. My stricture is before my sphincter in fact it's not that far in, I have a bit of a struggle to push it through but once it does it flies through to where I reach the sphincter because you get that intense feeling of wanting to pee before the final push into the bladder which releases any urine sat at the bottom. I' m just wondering if I need to go that far with my catheter tube.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.