Urethral Stricture -- Possible treatments?

Posted , 3 users are following.


I am in the process of researching possible steps to take to help me and others get a better understanding of Urethral Strictures. I know there is a lot of information out there, but nothing is better than getting feed back from people who share the same issues. Ill give a bit of background of myself to help understand what it is I exactly have. 

I am a 30 year old Male who has been dealing with urethral strictures my whole life. I am blessed in the sense that I am able to pass urine on my own, but with slight discomfort, and higher frequency. My symptoms include: Slight pain/sting while urinating, sense of having to go often, UTI at least once a year, and what feels like a small bladder. 

Up until last year, I would ignore it. Some days were better than others, and I was able to get by. Last year my UTI was pretty intense, and I was unable to pass urine. It was down to a dribble, and this caused severe pain. UTI had passed and I was able to urinate. 

Fast forward to last month. I decided to be proactive about my issue, and speak to a specialist, at the urology office I frequented. I met with a specialist in Urethral Strictures. Upon his investigation, he found that I had a stricture from almost the tip, to about 2-3 inches in the penis. He ofc requested we do a cystoscopy from the bladder in, because nothing was going to be able to pass thru the tip. He also told me I have a case of Lichen Sclerosis. A condition that doesn't have a cure, but there are ways to relieve symptoms. 

He set me up for surgery to see if we could Dialate the stricture, and so He could proceed with the cystoscopy. When I arrived  he decided to change the procedure and install a SP catheter. I was totally taken by surprise as I didnt even know what a SP catheter was. I proceeded to continue thinking this was the correct step. 

I woke up and realized I had a tube coming out of me, and informed I was no longer going to urinate the normal way. Instead I would use a bag, and hose. I was in shock but motivated. That motivation didnt last long, as i was stuck on my couch. I felt helpless, and couldnt move. I am an active guy, so for me to be on bed rest, is absolutely unbearable. I figured I would give this a chance anyways. 3 days later, I was in severe pain, and felt my bladder was full. I tried to urinate, and even drank plenty of fluid, hoping the pain would pass. Finally I had enough, and went to the ER. I was informed that my bladder was emptying but I was experiencing severe spasms. The ER doctor asked If I was able to urinate myself, and I said I was. He decided to remove the SP because of the pain. I was immediately releaved and thankful. Just 10 hours after I was myself again. 

I want to ask members if they have similar conditions and what they did to help. I know that a complete cure is not available but what can I do to help the symptoms. I have heard of dilation, steroids, and surgery. 

Thanks for the support!

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

  • Posted

    True  Sorry that your having a problem .  First of all The doctor was wrong to pull that on you the day of the procedure about the SP catheter.  That should have been talk about before hand.  Was he able to do the dilation on you.  Did the doctor or have you looked up what the surgery is about.  They will cut you penis open to fix the stricture It's not a pretty site.If the dilation worked I would stay with that procedure.  Dilation is suppose to last about a year.  I have one but mine is just before the prostate.  Good luck to you  Ken 

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thanks for your reply. I have yet to get a hold of him. When I woke, he was explaining to me the entire procedure, but I was incoherent at the time. I will post updates once I have a better conversation with him. 

      I am skeptical because of the diameter of my stricture (tiny). I dont think dilation will work. 

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      With it being small there should be able to dilate it.  The surgery for it.  I would never do.  Your a young man and I don't think you want your penis cut in half and sewed back together.  Do me a favor look at the surgery for it I have seen a few on the internet.  Not a pretty site.  Go with the less evasive procedure before you go under the knife.  He should have told you something when you woke up.  They should have giving you some information before you left the hospital.  But I don't know the way he did you before surgery with the SP catheter  Good luck  Ken 

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Your story has me shaking my head.   While dilation is unlikely to have any lasting benefit, for a doctor to blindside a patient with a SPC procedure is beyond the pale in my opinion.

    I did a bit of on-line research, and found that for men with your condition, urethroplasty does have a fairly good success rate, certainly worth pursuing at your age.  Please do a search on ( urethroplasty for strictures caused by lichen schlerosis).  There is one center I know of at UC Irvine that does nothing by urethroplasty, and I'm sure there are others.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thanks for your reply. Yes it seems urethroplasty is my only option. In the mean time will try research more and  obv get a 2nd opinion. 


      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I just read a article  on Urethroplasty of the Penis.  They said that if they are small it can be done with dilation.  If they have to do a Urethroplasty it is done in 2 parts.  After the first surgery you have to have another one 6 months after.  Before you do anything get another opinion.  And make sure they explain everything to you.  Ask question before you go under the knife.  Your a young guy and I hope things get better for you  God Bless  Ken  
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted


    For those that are interested. 

    I decided to take matters into my own hands, and decided to see what easy methods would help with my stricture. I can honestly say that drinking nothing but water has greatly helped. I remember reading that the acid level in the urine affects the flow, and irritates the stricture to the point it can inflame. 

    I have been drinking only water, and a good amount of it for some time now. I no longer feel the burning, dripping, inconsistent urination problems. My stream is a full stream. I want to get a flow test done to see if im above the 10ml mark. 

    I hope this helps. 

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up