Urethritis ? ? Pus in urine help

Posted , 4 users are following.


I wonder if anyone can help. I am 49 year old female and all through my earlier years I was bothered with urinary symptoms pretty much every 3months. I would have blood in my urine pretty much all the time . Eventually when I was about 30 I was referred to a urologist who did a few tests and also did a dilation of my urethera . Since then I never had any issues. I went on to have 2 children who are now grown teenagers

Roll on to present day and over last 2/3 years I have had recurrent what feels like uti but samples always come back clear. They tend to just go again and gp did query thrush

However a few weeks ago I woke in night with the most horrible pain in my urethea like I need to go urgently and pain went down my groin as well. It was like a muscle spasm in urethea feeling and took a while for pee to come. The next day I was so sore all day like I had a uti. This has happened 3 times now and I constant feel now like I have a sore urethea and need to pee. I had 2 dipstick samples done at doctor which both were clear and one swab of vagina again clear. I had a culture test done on Friday and had a follow up gp this am.

My gp said the urine showed no bacteria but there was pus in it which I believe is white/red blood cells. She said she thinks I have Urethritis and said to take ibuprofen as it imflammation not infection. However google seems to say that pus is sign of a infection . She wants me to do another sample tomorrow first thing. And she did another swab today

Has anyone had experience like this or pus in urine . Did it go away? I feel very sore with it and starting to get a bit anxious as well that it won't go away and it something more serious

I also not going to start nurofen until I do my second urine test. I also scared I will wake in night with that pains again. Any help reassure me



0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    EllieJane.... do you take any sort of HRT? This may help your symptoms, especially if you can have the oestrogen vaginal pessary. The urethral tissues may be thinning and becoming more prone to inflammation. Does this coincide with a few days after sexual activity? If so try changing your sexual position. A 6 month course of something like Nitrofurantoin could also be helpful. I can understand your GP wanting to do repeat urine tests and swabs. She is trying to identify any bacteria that may be present.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      thanks for replying

      No I take no medication at all

      Things have moved on a bit . My gp did a pelvic exam and found a mass . I was referred for urgent scan but thankfully it was nothing sinister but i do have a enlarged womb and a condition called adenmytosis which is like endrometrosis .

      My gp has been on leave so i see her again next week . I still convinced i have some sort of uti as pain very similar and also still have pus cells in urine and blood .

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up