Urethrocele

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I am 13 wk post op for a total hysterectomy, A&P repair and a tvt. I have been healing reasonably well until last week when I could feel a bulge. I was lucky enough to be seen today by my consultant who has told me I have a urethrocele. He said the don't normally do anything about it as its a tricky op. Has anyone else had this? Has my procedures caused this as wasn't diagnosed pre op with this. Feeling frustrated and any advice would be great

Fi.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fi

I was interested to read your post.  18 months ago I was diagnosed with a prolapsed womb after feeling a bulge down below.  I was told that the bulge I could feel was actually my bladder which was being pushed down with the womb.  I then underwent a vaginal hysterectomy and at the same time the surgeon did a bladder repair which I think involved stitching it to the vagina wall to secure it and restore it as near as possible to its normal position.  This was all done vaginally with no invasive entry via the stomach.  The whole procedure was done in one op and I have to say my recovery was brilliant.  Hardly any pain at all and I was going for walks after a week and running again after 6 weeks.

I am surprised that you are being told it's a tricky operation unless they mean it's more difficult because it wasn't done as part of your original op.  I do think you should perhaps ask for a second opinion as this may not be a life threatening condition but there is always the fear of incontinence (which was my main worry - even more that the hysterectomy!) and it's certainly something you should not be expected to live with if it can be corrected.

I hope you get this problem satisfactorily resolved.

Best wishes

Shani

• Posted

The tvt I had was a repair to stop bladder leakage and that has worked. The other symptoms are frequency in going to loo and not emptying bladder properly which I am experiencing. He said the procedures I had have all worked but when I read up about urethrocele it says it can happen due to pelvic muscle weakness and mine will have been weakened due to the 2 repairs.

I'm glad to hear you haven't had any more problems after your op. ??

• Posted

I do suffer a little from the emptying of the bladder so always take a bit longer when I go to make sure I do empty it! Rocking backwards and forwards (sounds bizarre I know!!) does seem to help.  I was told to make a conscious effort to do pelvic floor exercises as often as possible, as its never too late to do this, even after the operation, and as these are easy to do without anyone knowing, I do them wherever I am!!

Hope things improve for you

x

• Posted

Hi. Yeah I do the rocking. I also stand up and so the invisible hula hoop. Haha. It does help but I still find myself back at the loo an hr later. I also downloaded an app for my phone to remind me to do my pelvic floor. I know it sounds silly but it really gives me the incentive to get them done. As I would forget it wouldn't so them properly. But I do them religiously now. Just hasn't expected to have another bulge from this urethrocele. So it's deflated me a bit.

• Posted

I'm sure you'll be OK - you're only 13 weeks post op so have more time for things to right themselves.  I was told before my op that I also had a kink in my urethra which they were doubtful they could fix

and they warned me about incontinence, but thankfully I've been ok and I'm sure you will be too.

:-) x

• Posted

Hi Fi and Shani - Shani I feel the same as you, not sure why it's a 'tricky op'.  I had this done as well pre hysterectomy.

• Posted

Fi, my view on this would be to try another clinician as I don't feel happy on your behalf that everything has been done that can be done for you

• Posted

He did say to me if I had any problems to get back in touch. If it's not a problem I don't want to put myself through any more surgery after this tough one if I can help it. He didn't say he wouldn't do it he just said he'd prefer not to do it. I may news bowel surgery in near future which is more of an issue. Fingers crossed that it doesn't become a problem. ?? X

• Posted

Can I ask do you see a bulge or do you feel heavy inside
  • Posted

I can see it Gillian. Sometimes have a heavy feeling but ive just put that down to if I've overdone it. But I'm at the loo every 5 mins.

• Posted

Sorry for being nosey but I had my op 12 weeks ago was doing fine dicided to drive for two hours Friday hand had the heavy fealing again.

what do yo see and were do you see the bulge if you don't mind me asking

• Posted

Hi. It's at opening of vagina on front wall as its my urethra that has prolapsed. My urethra opening is more prominent too.

Don't mind you asking at all. ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.