Urethroplasty - 2019

Posted , 7 users are following.

Evening,

I’m a 28 year old male from Scotland.

I’m due to have a Urethroplasty procedure at the end of this month - and to be honest having read the various articles guys have posted, I’m seriously reconsidering whether to go ahead with this.

Most significantly, almost every person has reported a 1-1.5 inch shortening of their penis, a minimum of 1 year recovery time and various aches and pains (which I guess is understandable)

Has anyone had experience of a Urethroplasty and if so have you suffered from any of the above?

I’ve had ongoing issues with my structure which is near the prostate (bulbar I think) and to be honest other than one kidney infection 1.5 years ago I have not had any issues (long may it continue).

My symptoms just now are literally just low flow rate and discomfort when passing urine (especially in the morning).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do I go ahead with the surgery at this age or do I wait and hope that a less invasive procedure is developed (such as Urotronic). At the very least having done some research, I’m cancelling my op and chatting to my Urologist.

Thank you

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Should also mention I have had two urethrotomies (spelling?!)

• Posted

ei, bro, if I may ask whats the cause of your strictures, and how long ? I m in between 1 and 2nd stage urethroplasty, can list you all the side effects and how to deal with them

• Posted

I had a urethroplasty in 2004 using the buccal mucosa technique. It was all done in one stage. I went home the following day with an indwelling foley catheter for 5 weeks. Following the removal of the catheter, my stream improved but I continue the have frequency and urgency issues. No longer have retention and poor stream problems. I did not have any issues of decreased penile length associated with the procedure, Repeated urethrotomies may result in increased scarring in the urethra and thus increasing the possibility of more strictures.

• Posted

hi Shuteye, if I may ask apart from frequency/urgency voiding, what other side effects are you still carrying around post reconstruction 1 stage, any stinging/burning symptoms not just while voiding...? many thanks

• Posted

I have no more stinging and burning during urination as before. I never experienced pain other than during urination. Now, sometimes my stream is weak, but as I grow older, my prostate issue is likely causing this. I wish that I had had the surgical intervention sooner!

• Posted

just in case, I know a very good Urologist/reconstruction in London, if you need top 2nd opinion

• Posted

hi there,

My situation is very similar to your own and have recently had a urethroplasty in the bulbar area which also involved a graft taken from my inner cheek. After 2 months i just suffer from an occasional dull ache. I am now 46 but originally had a urethroplasty at 17 and a repair one a few years later so this was the third time. I think you will be looking at 2-3 weeks of discomfort mainly due to catheter which i had a month but you will probably be less. Your cheek hurts most if your having that done. I think the bad one involves inside the penis and full length of urethra. you should have done a flow test. Let me know if i can be of any more help

darren

• Posted

My stricture was from a bicycle accident when I was 10 years old. It didn't really affect me until I was around 50. It gradually got worse and worse. The doctor said that it was scar tissue build up. It got to where my penis was always uncomfortable, my stream was small and weak, and I would have to go 3-4 times every night. I literally stopped drinking beer!

I had a Urethroplasty and although the post surgery recovery sort of sucked, I LOVE IT!

I took a week off from work (office type job), and went back to work. I had a bag strapped to my ankle and a tube out my penis for 4 weeks, which sucked, but the end result is great!

First of all my penis is larger, not smaller. When I pee I make bubbles, and I completely empty my bladder in 10-15 seconds.

Orgasms are full, and again empty when done. Previously sort of dribbled out.

There. Thats as personal as I have ever gotten about it.

Do it! Love it!

• Posted

hey Tophz,

how is your doc going to perform urethroplasty? do you know if you are going to have suprapubic catheter post op during recovery? do you know the location of the stricture?

• Posted

Hi,

What is the doctor that will be doing the urethroplasty? I'm in the same situation living in Scotland and trying to find a doctor who is experienced enough to perform the procedure in case I need it.

• Posted

there s a world renowned surgeon in London

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.