Urethrotomy , can it be successful?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I have always had a week urine stream, though I have never had to strain, it takes me about 20-30 seconds to urinate.

I get up once or twice every night to use the bathroom. There is always a little dribling afterwards. This is not affected my life much though it is irritating to be only 28 and not have a 'normal' flow rate.

Last year I developed very intense pain on urinating and bleeding. I felt as though I was peeing acid. Eventualy after 5 trips to the GP I was diagnosed with infection and prostitisis. One month of powerful antibiotics and I was back to normal.

On getting refered to a Urologist they did the flow rate test, Scan, Xray, Cystoscopy flexi (not painfull in my experience) and urethrogram (painfull but bearable). I has diagnosed with a urethral stricture and a flow rate of 10ml per sec.

The Urethal stricture is quite bad and blocks 75% of the uretha, though it is not long. It is situated at the base of the penis.

Because of this the Consultant said it would be silly to ignore it, it could lead to problems later on in life.

I feel that urethroplasty is too drastic so agreed to have Urethrotomy. I will be having it over the next few months. I am VERY anxious about the op. Though it is minor it feels like a big deal to me.

Does anyone have any good experiences of Urethrotomy working long term???? I have tried to find some positive experiences but am yet to many????

I can't help but think what is the point? My condition has little or no impact on my life apart from going to the loo at night? Any possitive experience to justify the procedure?

Thanks for reading and sorry about any dodgy spelling!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI.  I am the OP back after a 7 years.  I stumpled over this old thread and have only just read the posts from the past few years and hope you are all doing okay regarding your strictures. 

Just a personal update....

After the Urethrotomy I went on to self cathetrise weekly then monthly for 3 years before stoping (I should have continued but as time went by just forgot),  As yet the stricture has not come back.  Though I am hoping I am not tempting fate by wrtiing this!

The Urethrotomy worked for me (for now), flow is good and no infections since the op all those years ago.  If you are having a Urethrotomy please please please catheterise religiously, I really think it is the main reason the procedure worked for me.

Take care

• Posted

I had a weak urine stream for many years, and was often going to the toilet as a result went to GP and he just sent me for urine and blood,not sure why he didn't send me to a urologist right away... however after seeing a doctor (regarding a sleeping issue I have for which I am going to do an overnight stay to investigate suspected narcolepsy). I was referred to a urologist as I had blood recently in my urine. 

I was given an ultrasound from which a possible kidney stone was detected, and the following day a cystoscopy....during the horrific ordeal it was noted that I had a stricture at the base of my penis, and albeit the procedure wasn't pleasant It was great to have some answers, well I was promptly scheduled for surgery for which I was given 2 days notice,16 days later I had my urethrotomy , had a FR18 catheter in I think, for a week which is very uncumfortable but by the 6th day you start learning to live with it.

today it has been 3 days since Ive had my catheter out and all I can say is wow,the flow of my urine is probably 5-7x faster I would have to say, its a whole new experience , it really shows how your body can slowly get use to something and consider it normal.

I will return to the urology department this Tuesday to be shown how to self catheterise. 

• Posted

How old are you Michael?   Does your doc want you to self dilate every day or what? 
    • Posted

Hi, I am 31, I believe this will be a once a week thing for the foreseeable future.
    • Posted

How was your catheter removal?   Easy? Painful?   

Did It hurt the tip of your penis? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.