Urge Incontintence

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm over 50 and have suffered urge incontinence off and on since I was 20.  I've visited too many doctors and nothing physically is apparent.  The only thing I can think of is I've suffered ingrown pubic hairs since puberty.  One situation caused a very serious infection in the groin area, which I self-treated with antibiotics (no health insurance at the time).

It's not chronic, but usually triggered by stress.  I use diapers when I know I'm about to have an episode.  However, my incontinence is more frequent and diapers can't absorb the volume causing some serious embarrasing situations. For the last year, I've been using an external catheter.  A great alternative and I wish I had experimented using a cath as an alternative.

There are certain situations when a diaper is preferrable.  Problem is I've not found a diaper which has adequete absorbancy and one I can wear without feeling self-consciounce.

I don't have any one to talk with about this problem except the doctors which haven't been much help.  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have worn cloth baby diapers placed strategically over my penis and covering my rectum underneath a pair of Depends.

I have also used white tube socks placed strategically over my penis and rectum underneath a pair of Depends.

This strategy has worked well. I have only had one case in which one of these two strategies not work.

• Posted

John,

I tried using the high absorbency urge shields and Depends. What I do is create a double lining by removing the backing of the shield to create a double layer with the Depend diaper. Works well most of the time and I'm confident when I know I've got the opportunity to change and customize.

I can't understand why the makers of Depends or other brands don't add more absorbency for urine.

I'm complaining because the available products for urge incontinence don't work and those who deal with it have to come up with solutions on their own.

I just bought a belly bag and used it for the first time today. Wow, it was great and I felt free. To empty a leg bag I always had to go into a stall. Now I unzip at a urinal and empty the bag with the tubing. No one can see and I feel normal.

• Posted

Hi ElCerdo,

Finding a discreet adult diaper can be hard and expensive if you don't get the right ones, but you might want to look into accessories. Like booster pads, or liners within the diaper. There are these adult briefs that are incredibly absorbent and look just like boxers. They even feel like boxers - http://ss1.us/a/1ULQ9139 

Within these adult absorbent briefs you can then insert a booster pad for extra absorbency. There are these adult briefs that look just like mens underwear too http://ss1.us/a/XzIaKDjx. Then on top of these briefs you might want to wear absorbent compression shorts, which also look like mens boxers. This is if you have heavy leakage, and from what you describe it seems like you do. These are stretchy absorbent pull ons, http://ss1.us/a/RNW1trTX they compress the diaper you wear underneath and support your bladder, decreasing the urge to go.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Also this blog has a lot of good info on "living with incontinence" so you might get some good lifestyle tips. There are lots of little things you can do to regain more bladder control. Even if you cant regain full control, might as well get more control and alleviate some stress

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.