Urge to urinate 3+ times per night

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I am a 34-year old male and basically I have to wake up at least 3 times per night to urinate. During the day my bladder acts quite normally, but at night it doesn't let me sleep. I usually wake up at around 3am for the first time, with an erection and an incredible urge to pee. I go, pass a normal amount of urine, go back to bed... and then it happens again about every hour: wake up with erection, go to pee (a few drops now), go back to bed.

I tried, without any success:

• Getting off coffee and any kind of soda
  • Eating dinner earlier
  • Not drinking any water after 8pm
  • Buscopan
  • Probiotics

I consulted my GP and underwent a battery of tests, which concluded that:

• I have no UTIs
  • I don't have diabetes
  • My prostate, liver and kidneys are fine
  • My bladder empties normally when I urinate
  • I don't have celiac disease

She's adamant that my IBS and lactose intolerance (never really officially diagnosed, though) have nothing to do with this and her conclusion is that this is anxiety/stress and to manage that. Would you agree?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

How do you manage to pee if you have an erection?

• Posted

I sit on the toilet and tuck my penis under the lid... after the first drops the erection subsides quite quickly.

• Posted

That is not ideal! I hope you get a solution to your problem soon. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.