Urgency/frequency issues AFTER treatment for BPH?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a PAE six months ago and am still having urgency/frequency issues. My urine flow is improved but is still only 4ml/sec. I am still retaining a lot in my bladder (last PVR was 178ml). I am considering a second PAE or perhaps a Urolift or Greenlight so I don't have to be constantly looking for a bathroom. At night I get up every 1.5 to 2 hours.  For those of you who have had the various treatments, how long did it take for the urgency/frequency issue to resolve, or does it ever resolve? Will the bladder retrain itself after some time? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had Rezum and the urgency was over in about 6 weeks, but was never unmanageable. 
  • Posted

Is self catheterization an option?  I have been diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder.  I was retaining 1.5L of urine in my bladder before I could void.  I would get up several times per night and had a lot of sudden urges to urinate during the day.  However, I only voided a small amount each time.  I have been doing CIC for 7 months.  I have had no natural voids during that time.  However, I now sleep through the night and have no sudden urges to urinate.  While it is not the ideal solution, I find CIC a great option.  I cath on a schedule, and I don't worry about having to find a bathroom on short notice.

• Posted

Well, I can pass urine, just too frequently. I have tried self cath and wouldn't want to make this a regular habit unless it was necessary. In your case, it's necessary, right? 

• Posted

I believe it is necessary.  My urologist is not recommending surgery.  I assume that if I stopped cathing and let my bladder fill up, I would probably start passing urine.  It would be frequent, but I would never come close to emptying my bladder.  I have a routine, and it doesn't impact my lifestyle.

• Posted

Finding the right uro will unlock all uncertainties
    • Posted

Great insight. I am with a HMO and don't have a lot of options right now. May go to a different plan when I can and then I will have some choice. 

• Posted

EXACTLY.  One urologist's approach to BPH / prostate issues can be completely different than the next urologist's approach. 

• Posted

Need to find out if it's your prostate or bladder issues.

• Posted

Right. Will try to get as much info as possible - imaging, studies. Don't want to rush into another treatment if it's not going to work. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.