Urgent advi ce what to eat day before funeral to control bowel evacuation

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son died suddenly and his funeral is on Friday at 1pm..two weeks ago I underwent a bowel PRolapse repair, for the second time ...

My worry is that I am Evacuating fairly urgently three or four times a day..this is ok as I am still at home ..but any suggestions as to how little I should eat the day before to,get,through the funeral ..afternoon....before this op is was extremely constipated always and like not needed to,evacuate several times a day.

This the second operation formthis..the first,three years ago was keyhole, then hernia where the keyhole,was..and as I was caring for an elderly husband, it happen again and this time they have done a Delormes procedure..ie through the rectum with spinal,injection..

I am now being told to take medicine to ensure I do not get constipated again..and it’s fine so,far

But I really really need advice to to ensure that on this coming Friday I do not need to go the toilet during the service etc.  

So I intend to eat Very little on Thursday and although I am not so comfortable with Imodium am considering chewing the kaeolin tablets on Friday morning..of course I know I should not be doing this really but I need to not need the toilet Friday afternoon..

can anyone five me some senmsible advice as We are all so terribly sad at his sudden death while about to have his dinner that I need some helpful advice if possible as I must be there at his funeral and it’s so soon after my op I am nervous .

If you ha s any suggestions I would be so greatful. I realise that I will have excessive and painful wind if I take kaolin and I I probably won’t take any tablets the night before..I am so concerned I really am.  So far I am not incontinent but that’s because I ha e not been away from home..

thank yoi

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry you are having all this stress at such a sad time in your life! Do you have an appointed nurse that you can call to sk for best advice? With all the meds etc you are having to take I would not like to offer advice in case I was wrong! I'm sure it is better if you can contact a professional who will be able to guide you! I wish you well not only for Friday, but for your long term health! Please let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Thank for reply, I think I might phone 111 and speak to a nurse that would a good idea...I really appreciate you replying I am trying not to worry his children they are busy with all the arrangements as well as trying to cope with the shock ..
  • Posted

Dear Suzanne:

First of all, commiserations at your sad loss.  I hope that you can get through the funeral with the support of your family.

Re advice regarding your bowel problems.  Your suggestion regarding phoning 111 to speak to a nurse sounds a sensible idea.  It's probably best not to eat too much, but see what a nurse says.  I suffer from double incontinence after an operation 12 years ago, so I know what it's like to attend a family event and worry about "accidents".

Do let the Board know how you were able to cope on Friday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.