Urgent: Angiomyolipoma in right kidney

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have recently done a USG/ultrasound for a periodical check as i used to have pancreatitis which is resolved now.  Right now i do not have any problems or pain. But i was detected with Angiomyolipoma in right kidney (19.8*15.7mm). Is it dangerous? I want to know what are the measures i should take to control this situation and resolve this health problem?

I also want to know why did this happened? Is it related to pancreatitis?

Please reply soon as me and my family is really tensed about this situation. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Somraj,  you should have a follow-up appointment with your Consultant to discuss these findings.   When I was first diagnosed with an angiomyolipoma in 2009 I was told they are benign tumours.  They said once they reach 4cms they become 'unpredictable' and treatment would be offered, usually embolisation at first to cut off the blood supply feeding the tumour.  I used to have 6 monthly ultrasounds, which then went to 12 monthly.  I was diagnosed with a second angiomyolipoma on the other kidney in 2014.  The goalposts have now been moved in the UK and they wait for them to reach 5 cms before treating them.   I am due to see my Consultant Monay, 6/11 so will ask more questions this time.  Apparently, sometimes they just stop growing and no further treatment is then required.

Make a list of what you want answers to when you see your Consultant.  Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you Janet for your quick response. I am in process of booking an appointment with a consultant. In the mean while when you are visiting your doctor, can you ask few questions like what is the reason behind this problem and right now my size is 19.8*15.7 mm. what measures should i take?
  • Posted

Hi Somraj, just wondering how you are getting on with your Angiomyolipoma diagnosis.  Have you been told any more info?  My last ultrasound revealedd that my AMP's hadn't changed much in size so the Consultant has now put me on bi-annual checks.   They can be quite slow growing and sometimes stop growing altogether.   Please update me as to how you are getting on.  Regards, Janet

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.