Urgent bunion help, please read!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

hiya thank you for reading!! Basically i am 17 years old and have the most annoying bunion. I've always had it however in the past year or so its become horrific. I would say its only moderate looking but the pain has become unbearable in that i have to take constant breaks from walking when out with friends and at school it often throbs to the extent im in tears. I am also an irish dancer and its definetly having an impact on that too. I am going to see a podiatrist next week as my parents want me to get it fixed once and for all, so i was just wondering what the chances of them fixing it through surgery was bearing in mind im only 17 and its only moderate, however the pain is agonising and its having a real impact on me. Thank you so much in adance!! Xxx

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I would say the chances are surgery as it's the most successful outcome. Being only 17 your recovery shouldn't be that long. X
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply!!biggrin  ah okay, im literally at my wits end with it! do you know anything about the surgery like have you had it or anything? just concerned about how log i would be off school for as ive seen people say they had to rest for weeks and weeks and all, do you think it would be possible to return to school after a few days even if i had to use crutches? Thank you sooo much again! Xx

• Posted

Yes I have had it done twice! The first two weeks you really need to rest but I work as a learning support assistant and I returned after two weeks with my second foot. Could you plan it so its over holidays?
    • Posted

ah okay, did you find it was painful or anything? was yours general or local anaesthetic? sorry for all the questions haharedface yeah i will defo try that, just concerned that the Nhs waiting list will be really long and il have to just go for it as soon as they can fit me inneutral thank you for all your help! xx
    • Posted

Ok, honestly I found the pain agony once the local anathestic wore off but this was just the day of the surgery. It really hurt for about three days then it was only moderate for about a week. Where a outs are you? I am in Hampshire and had it done under the nhs. My wait was about 12 weeks for the first, eight weeks for the second but back to 12 for my third op. (I have had a cyst grow from a bit of stitching) please don't worry about asking questions. I am glad to be able to help x
    • Posted

You are right Sally.  I restes one week and I was feeling great.  I went to see my doc after a week and he tld me to walk.  It was the worst thing to do.  I started having a lot of pain and got behind my progress.  I am in week 4 and he said to use tenis shoes.  My foot is so inflamed that It is  impossible to put a tenis shoe.  Follow the feeling of your body.

• Posted

Thanks so much for all your help!! I have a drs appointment for tomorrow now so hopefully they will be able to do something, not sure if they will say it needs treatment however as it's only a minor/moderate looking bunion however the pain is bloody awful! Thanks again will let you know how tomorrow goes!! Xx
  • Posted

Hi, I had a scarf and akin op on 30 March.  All that Sally tells you is how it was for me.  You need to be prepared for a long rest, and have your family help you to get around in the first week or so.  I've noticed from this site that everyone has different experiences, and yours might be different as you are young and fit.  If you are having a lot of pain then the op should be done, but don't expect a quick recovery.  My bunion was moderate compared to others I've seen, but I was having pain so had the op.  I'm still in recovery 5 months later, but the ankle/foot swelling is decreasing and I'm able to get about for longer walks etc.  If you wanted to return to school earlier than 6 weeks a wheelchair might be the thing to use, I bought a self propelling one as I didn't want to stay indoors all the time.  It was great to be able to get out of the house.

My doctor said it would be 6 months before I really feel better and 12 months to full recovery.  I'm telling you this so you can be prepared.  You will experience aches and pains in all parts of your foot afterwards, even to 5 months! But friends who've had the op years ago tell me it does get back to normal.  

I was given NHS choice, ie three hospitals to choose where to attend.  Two were 3/4 months before the initial consultation, but the one I chose I saw the surgeon in 2 weeks and surgery in another 6 weeks.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thank you so so much for tall that information that's been such a great help!! Will hopefully get answers from the doctor as this pain is driving me crazy! Do they always give surgery if it hurts or is there non surgical options they usually try first? Also do you always use crutches after Nd for how long do you have them? Sorry for all the questions hahah I'm so clueless about all this!! Thanks so much for all your help again xx
  • Posted

Hi Becky,

if your bunion is causing you such a lot of pain then I would definitely say have the surgery . You are very young so your recovery will be much quicker than older patients. It's much better to take six weeks out of your life now than to spend the rest of your life in agony. The bunion would just get progressively worse as mine did. I wish I had mine done years ago.

Good luck  Becky. Here's to happy feet.👣👣👣👣👣👣

• Posted

Thanks so much for your help!! I will see what the doctor says but hopefully he can do something for it. Scared he says just to try better fitted shoes or insoles or something: been there done that and it's done nothing, if anything it's got more painful! Ugh, the struggles of us bunion folk!! Hahaahahh thanks again for all your help!! Xx
  • Posted

Becky you have a good chances to fix it but realistically you have to find another type of dancing after the surgery.  Bunions run in our genes.  Do the surgery before it gets worse the bone and the pain.  You have a big chances to heal faster because your age.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply and help!! Hopefully they can do something for it as I'm Sure you'll know yourself how painful bunions are!! Yeah unfortunetly I think I may have to quit once and for all, especially after the surgery!! Thanks so much again!! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.